Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity leave question

Options
  • 26-11-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Recently started a new job on 10/11/2020 and my child was born 3 days earlier (birth predated start date of new job).

Can someone explain my right to paternity leave in this instance? New dad here who really wants to be able to support my wife who is doing alot of heavy lifting herself.

Am I entitled to it if I technically wasnt employed (between jobs) at time of birth?

I gave myself 2 weeks between jobs to allow for time off but baby was overdue. New role had important training I could not miss so despite a request for later start date I could not be accomodated until end of Jan 2021, so I started straight away on 10th November.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

legally you are entitled to take paternity leave and claim the benefit associated with it. what you might not qualify for is your new employer tops up the benefit to your full salary.

Have you applied for the benefit? You don't have to take paternity leave right away you can take it any time in the first 6 months?

TBH you really need to talk to the HR dept of your new employer and explain what you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

ec18 wrote: »
    legally you are entitled to take paternity leave and claim the benefit associated with it. what you might not qualify for is your new employer tops up the benefit to your full salary.

Have you applied for the benefit? You don't have to take paternity leave right away you can take it any time in the first 6 months?

TBH you really need to talk to the HR dept of your new employer and explain what you would like.

Was paternity leave not extended recently enough?
    Citizens advice still saying only 2 weeks.

I know parental leave is separate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Was paternity leave not extended recently enough?
    Citizens advice still saying only 2 weeks.

I know parental leave is separate

Parents leave was. Thats different to paternity leave. Paternity leave is for father or partner of the mother of the child. Parents leave is for both parents which has been extended but only after April next year.

andreac wrote: »
    Parents leave was. Thats different to paternity leave. Paternity leave is for father or partner of the mother of the child. Parents leave is for both parents which has been extended but only after April next year.

So if your kid was born in October 2020 and you want to start parental leave in April, how long do you get?

And could a dad delay Paternity leave to January (2 weeks) and take parental leave at later time?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Recently started a new job on 10/11/2020 and my child was born 3 days earlier (birth predated start date of new job).

Can someone explain my right to paternity leave in this instance? New dad here who really wants to be able to support my wife who is doing alot of heavy lifting herself.

Am I entitled to it if I technically wasnt employed (between jobs) at time of birth?

I gave myself 2 weeks between jobs to allow for time off but baby was overdue. New role had important training I could not miss so despite a request for later start date I could not be accomodated until end of Jan 2021, so I started straight away on 10th November.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I know its an entitlement but I'd also talk to whoever you report to and try to come to a compromise on what suits you both.
    Just to build on the new work place relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

So if your kid was born in October 2020 and you want to start parental leave in April, how long do you get?

And could a dad delay Paternity leave to January (2 weeks) and take parental leave at later time?

Parental leave is different again. It’s 26 weeks unpaid and can be taken up to the child’s 12th birthday.

Parents leave is currently 2 weeks and increasing to 5 weeks in April.

Paternity leave and parents leave don’t have to be taken together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Parental leave isn't paid. That can be taken up until the child is a lot older, like 6 or 8 but it's all online if you check.
    As far as I know you are both entitled to 5 weeks parents leave. 2 weeks at the moment with the other 3 from April but double check that.

andreac wrote: »
    Parental leave isn't paid. That can be taken up until the child is a lot older, like 6 or 8 but it's all online if you check.
    As far as I know you are both entitled to 5 weeks parents leave. 2 weeks at the moment with the other 3 from April but double check that.

Our place pay for parental leave, all 26 weeks. Or you can take 12 weeks and they will pay you a lump sump to forgo the other 14 weeks. can only be taken in first 2 years of the child

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

There are a number of types of leave available to parents - maternity leave, paternity leave, parents leave and parental leave.

Confusingly the last three have similar names but different entitlements, rates of payment and timeframe to be used.

Paternity leave is 2 weeks of leave available to parents of children (except the mother), payable at €245. Entitlement is based on PRSI contributions.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

Parents leave is 2 weeks of leave available to all parents of children born after 1 November 2019, again paid at a rate of €245 per week. It is due to increase to 5 weeks in 2021.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parents_leave.html

Parental leave is 26 weeks of leave available to all parents. It is unpaid. Parents can take up to 26 weeks of leave per child up to the age of 12. So if you have 2 children, you can take 52 weeks of leave up until your youngest child turns 12. There are a number of requirements to be met to take the leave, such as working for your employer for 1 year before the leave can be availed of.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parents_leave.html

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Having recently gone through this process myself and found it confusing the post above explains the different leaves pretty well.
    Couple of extra points I would like to add are;
    Top up payments are at the discretion of the employer. My employer doesnt top up wages even for the mothers.
    Paternity and parent leave are taxable payments. In my case the payments were added to my salary and the tax deducted at source. Revenue then sent me an amended tax credit statement.
    To apply for parents leave you need the childs pps number so that doesn't happen till the births actually registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Electric wrote: »
    There are a number of types of leave available to parents - maternity leave, paternity leave, parents leave and parental leave.

Confusingly the last three have similar names but different entitlements, rates of payment and timeframe to be used.

Paternity leave is 2 weeks of leave available to parents of children (except the mother), payable at €245. Entitlement is based on PRSI contributions.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

Parents leave is 2 weeks of leave available to all parents of children born after 1 November 2019, again paid at a rate of €245 per week. It is due to increase to 5 weeks in 2021.

Parental leave is 26 weeks of leave available to all parents. It is unpaid. Parents can take up to 26 weeks of leave per child up to the age of 12. So if you have 2 children, you can take 52 weeks of leave up until your youngest child turns 12. There are a number of requirements to be met to take the leave, such as working for your employer for 1 year before the leave can be availed of.

This should be pinned on this forum. This question is asked constantly and this response is very clear and informative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its possible for ye to add it to this stickied thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056268209 ?

Advertisement