Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY AI training

Options
  • 25-11-2020 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

I’m considering doing the Ai course and I would like to hear of anyone else that may be in a similar situation that has done it and what the cost are per year with straws and tank maintenance. 25 sucklers on the farm trying to operate a closed herd and would also be used on two farms I relief milk for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

390kid wrote: »
    I’m considering doing the Ai course and I would like to hear of anyone else that may be in a similar situation that has done it and what the cost are per year with straws and tank maintenance. 25 sucklers on the farm trying to operate a closed herd and would also be used on two farms I relief milk for

I have similar numbers here. TBH only I got the tank for free through my previous job it wouldn’t be worth it.
    If you get a technician in you only pay for the straws you actually use. Anybody that has a tank has a collection of straws that they will probably never use. There is always a new exciting bull around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭alps

It's a great skill to have and will help with many situations like washing out and pregnancy diagnosis etc.

Watch the cost of keeping straws. There will be a cost of at least 200€ per annum to keep the flasc topped up.with nitrogen. Bear in mind also that if using the technician repeats are free or lower cost. No such reduction for diy straws.

You may find it far more convenient though to e able to determine your own AI times and not having an animal held in the yard for hours waiting for technician..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Amateur Farmer

I was in the same boat as you this time last year and I did the training got the tank. I found having the flexibility to inseminate the cows at a time of your own choosing was the single biggest benefit. One definite piece of advise would be to research your bulls and be disciplined in what straws you purchase, try to keep it to a small enough team of bulls. Otherwise you can end up spending a lot of money on lots of straws and you will find that once you get going you will end up using only a hand full of bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Tank is €550 or so
    After that guns
    Steaths(what’s straw goes into)
    Thaw flask if you want
    Beef straws usually €8-€10
    Nitrogen service is €180/€200 per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You’ll have to factor while gaining experience you may not have a good success rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

How good is the technician service in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

The technician is top class and very obliging but he’s near retirement age

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

The licence you get for DIY is for your own herd. At the end of your post you mention doing other herds. Will you be allowed buy enough straws to do three herds?

The licence you get for DIY is for your own herd. At the end of your post you mention doing other herds. Will you be allowed buy enough straws to do three herds?

Jaysus I dunno I never looked into or thought about that. The 2 other farms have there own tank

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Did the course, was about to buy the gear, then..……
    Got rid of the cows and am glad I did

• Advertisement

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Did the course, was about to buy the gear, then..……
    Got rid of the cows and am glad I did

Glad ya did the course or get rid of the cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone doing DIY AI
    What all have you in your kit and how are you finding your conception rates

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Too notch from progressive genetics anyway

Advertisement