Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Distance membership

• 25-11-2020 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11 Kkerr

Hi,

I'd like to join a well known golf club in Leinster offering a distance membership for 500 eur which apparently has all benefits of full membership.
    The only condition is that I need to join another GUI affiliated club for handicap purposes.
    There are GUI clubs in Munster offering very cheap distance membership. So I could join the Munster course on distance membership for 150 and then join the Leinster course on distance membership for 500. I have not heard of this type of arrangement before - does this sound right?
    I don't have an official handicap so presumably I'd have to play 3 rounds at the Munster course to get my handicap but then I could play exclusively at the Leinster course after that and submit my cards for continued handicap calculation?

Any advice or corrections appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭ dan_ep82

Is 650+cost of travel to munster x3 that far off the full subs on leinster?

I think it will depend on the club whether they accept a distance membership of another club, no harm asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Southern Comfort

Does the Leinster club have a rule about how far you have to live from it in order to qualify for distance membership? I would presume it does. If so, do you qualify on those grounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ Solomon Tangy Radial

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Is 650+cost of travel to munster x3 that far off the full subs on leinster?

I think it will depend on the club whether they accept a distance membership of another club, no harm asking them.

Is the condition of distance membership in relation to another membership not that you're required to be a full member of another club?

If that is the case then you'll simply run into the same issue whereby the cheaper Munster club will require proof of membership elsewhere.

I don't know if it is a ubiquitous requirement for distance membership but full membership elsewhere is required for distance membership in my club.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭ Dav010

I’m about to join a links course as a distance member, a condition is that I must have proof of full membership at another club and live min 75km away.

Op, I suspect club membership secretaries have seen it all before, I’d love to join a well know club close to me as a distance member if it was easy to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ Solomon Tangy Radial

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’m about to join a links course as a distance member, a condition is that I must have proof of full membership at another club and live min 75km away.

Op, I suspect club membership secretaries have seen it all before, I’d love to join a well know club close to me as a distance member if it was easy to do so.

Oldest play in the book situation. I have a distance membership near my family home. I probably frequent it more than your average "real" distance member but I am living 150km away.

If I was the OP, I'd simply be embarrassed if I availed of this and wasn't a true distance member, not to mention the additional embarrassment if I was caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Kkerr

Thanks all, its now confirmed that i'd have to be a full member of the Munster course (not a distance member) so the question doesn't need answering.
    BTW i would have qualified as a distance member for both courses.
    But I agree the optics of joining a cheap course on distance basis in order to join a better course on a cheaper distance fare never looked right.
    thanks

Advertisement