Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Dimmer Switch

Options
  • 25-11-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for a bit of advice on replacing an old dimmer switch but I'm a bit unsure of the wiring on it.
    Its a double one way dimmer switch.
    One knob is for the main lighting and the other is for 2 small lights on the wall.
    One knob is physically broken, keeps turning but the other knob functions.
    This is what the original wiring looks like, there is some kind of a looping wire.

Old-Switch.jpg

I connected a new standard switch (Non Dimmer) and wired it like below.
    I connected the red wires to Com (Live) and the grey to L1.

New-Switch.jpg

Only the main lights came on with this configuration and I later discovered that 2 lights in 2 different rooms no longer worked.

I've rewired the old switch back up and the problem with the 2 lights in the other rooms has been resolved and the good knob works as previously.

Anyone know how I should wire the new switch, do I need to loop the red wires as previously ?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Yes loop the reds

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Zardoz wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a bit of advice on replacing an old dimmer switch but I'm a bit unsure of the wiring on it.
    Its a double one way dimmer switch.
    One knob is for the main lighting and the other is for 2 small lights on the wall.
    One knob is physically broken, keeps turning but the other knob functions.
    This is what the original wiring looks like, there is some kind of a looping wire.

Old-Switch.jpg

I connected a new standard switch (Non Dimmer) and wired it like below.
    I connected the red wires to Com (Live) and the grey to L1.

New-Switch.jpg

Only the main lights came on with this configuration and I later discovered that 2 lights in 2 different rooms no longer worked.

I've rewired the old switch back up and the problem with the 2 lights in the other rooms has been resolved and the good knob works as previously.

Anyone know how I should wire the new switch, do I need to loop the red wires as previously ?
    Many thanks

Yes loop the reds. One of the reds is the feed from the board to the switch and the other feeds the switch in the other room. The other 2 wires are the switch wires to the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Cheers guys, I looped the reds as ye said and everything is working perfectly.
    Many thanks ;)

Zardoz wrote: »
    Cheers guys, I looped the reds as ye said and everything is working perfectly.
    Many thanks ;)

Good to see someone getting help here instead of the usual abuse.

Advertisement