Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed please

Options
  • 25-11-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there

My first time posting so bear with me and feel free to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong .
    Does anyone have any advice please, i have a 10yo terrier who is 18 days post ACL surgery and he will not put his leg to the ground. I am following the surgeons rehabilitation instructions to the letter, the leg is moveable when massaging , he gets a bit snappy at times which I think is still pain related but I feel now he is very anxious which he never was before. Has anyone had any experience of this situation?

thank you so much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

When is he due back for a checkup? And what procedure did he have? Bailey has had TTA Rapid in both legs - the most recent in Jan and he used the leg from the beginning both times. They basically have a broken leg so think of what we’d be like after having the same operation. If he’s not happy for you to massage it and not putting it down then possibly he’s in pain and may need his pain relief adjusted. I’d be calling the vet and see what they say.
    We were in for wound inspections, stitch removal, and because everything was going so smoothly every 2 weeks for the knee. They know us in the vets and know I’m experienced as we’re there for laser therapy every week. If laser is an option I’d maybe get a course of it to promote healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 terriers mum

tk123 wrote: »
    When is he due back for a checkup? And what procedure did he have? Bailey has had TTA Rapid in both legs - the most recent in Jan and he used the leg from the beginning both times. They basically have a broken leg so think of what we’d be like after having the same operation. If he’s not happy for you to massage it and not putting it down then possibly he’s in pain and may need his pain relief adjusted. I’d be calling the vet and see what they say.
    We were in for wound inspections, stitch removal, and because everything was going so smoothly every 2 weeks for the knee. They know us in the vets and know I’m experienced as we’re there for laser therapy every week. If laser is an option I’d maybe get a course of it to promote healing.

Hi tk123,
    thank you for answering
    he had CCL surgery and had a 2nd procedure done at same time time which was to do with the meniscus apparently half was taken away. he has been back for all the checks vet said he's a little slow coming back but everything seemed fine, his last check was 8 days ago he's 18 days post surgery, not due for check up till 4 weeks p/s. I have spoken to the vet who says to keep going with the rehab but he's still uncomfortable also he seems very anxious. He is on pain relief onsior once a day and gabpentine 3 times per day, he is also epileptic so on daily meds for that too. i scoured the internet to see if there are any hints or tricks to help him but haven't seen anything.

Ok so the gabapentin could be making him anxious.. or if he's already anxious it could be magnifying that. Bailey had tramadol (or whatever the pet one is called) first time he was crated and it made him EXTREMELY anxious and well it was a disaster for us - his leg was fine but we had to take shifts sitting with him etc etc and very stressful.. This time around I covered the floor in the sitting room with yoga mats and gated the door off with a baby gate - so no crate - and agreed that with the vet beforehand. I also moved my desk in so I was with him all day..and night - we basically lived in the room for weeks!:o He was SO relaxed the medicine did a great job at relaxing him more.

If he's a bit iffy about you touching it/doing the rehab honestly I'd just hold off for a few days. Are you icing/heating it? I found this time Bailey loved to have it iced and it'd really help to settle him if he needed it.

And try not to worry too much - everything will be fine :)

Ok so the gabapentin could be making him anxious.. or if he's already anxious it could be magnifying that. Bailey had tramadol (or whatever the pet one is called) first time he was crated and it made him EXTREMELY anxious and well it was a disaster for us - his leg was fine but we had to take shifts sitting with him etc etc and very stressful.. This time around I covered the floor in the sitting room with yoga mats and gated the door off with a baby gate - so no crate - and agreed that with the vet beforehand. I also moved my desk in so I was with him all day..and night - we basically lived in the room for weeks!:o He was SO relaxed the medicine did a great job at relaxing him more.

If he's a bit iffy about you touching it/doing the rehab honestly I'd just hold off for a few days. Are you icing/heating it? I found this time Bailey loved to have it iced and it'd really help to settle him if he needed it.

And try not to worry too much - everything will be fine :)[/quote

We,er doing everything you mentioned above icing & heat packs. I'm studying remotely so I'm with him all day & night. Floors are covered as vet said he didn't need to be in the crate all the time if I was with him. We are stressed to the hilt now if I'm honest. I've put in for a call back from the vet so we,'ll see what he has to say. I'm just so worried about him as he's never been anxious he's a robust little fella part JR part corgi & now he just sleeping & trembling all the time.

Thanks so much tk123 for sharing your experience with me .

And try not to worry too much - everything will be fine :)[/quote

We,er doing everything you mentioned above icing & heat packs. I'm studying remotely so I'm with him all day & night. Floors are covered as vet said he didn't need to be in the crate all the time if I was with him. We are stressed to the hilt now if I'm honest. I've put in for a call back from the vet so we,'ll see what he has to say. I'm just so worried about him as he's never been anxious he's a robust little fella part JR part corgi & now he just sleeping & trembling all the time.

Thanks so much tk123 for sharing your experience with me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

could he be having a reaction to the mix of meds possibly - just a thought?

The anxious bit I imagine is nearly worse for you to bear, than the fact that he is not using the leg (yet)?

My JRT X had ACL surgery a couple of years ago. This dog is a bit special needs, and is complete and utter wimp. The surgery went fine, but we had to go to UK for a few weeeks the week after the surgery, so we packed up the car and the dog and all his stuff, and off we went. He was so anxious and stressed in the little rental house. We didnt know if it was post surgery related, or just the fact that he was in pain, and in a strange place, and wondering what the heck was going on. It was pretty stressful, and he was NOT using the leg at all.

Anyway, in the end it all worked out absolutely fine. He started to use his leg a little more every week, got a bit used to being in the strange new world - and once we got home, everything clicked back into place, and quick recovery. 18 days isnt very long - I think it took 3 weeks before we saw things staring to improve. It was definitely 6 weeks before there was any normality. Try not to worry - it will improve. Youre keeping him monitored and checked, so it sounds like all is going to plan. Take care!

aonb wrote: »
    could he be having a reaction to the mix of meds possibly - just a thought?

The anxious bit I imagine is nearly worse for you to bear, than the fact that he is not using the leg (yet)?

My JRT X had ACL surgery a couple of years ago. This dog is a bit special needs, and is complete and utter wimp. The surgery went fine, but we had to go to UK for a few weeeks the week after the surgery, so we packed up the car and the dog and all his stuff, and off we went. He was so anxious and stressed in the little rental house. We didnt know if it was post surgery related, or just the fact that he was in pain, and in a strange place, and wondering what the heck was going on. It was pretty stressful, and he was NOT using the leg at all.

Anyway, in the end it all worked out absolutely fine. He started to use his leg a little more every week, got a bit used to being in the strange new world - and once we got home, everything clicked back into place, and quick recovery. 18 days isnt very long - I think it took 3 weeks before we saw things staring to improve. It was definitely 6 weeks before there was any normality. Try not to worry - it will improve. Youre keeping him monitored and checked, so it sounds like all is going to plan. Take care!

Hi there
    Thank you for answering. I'm glad to hear ypur pooch bounced back it's very reassuring. We headed to the vet last Friday who said the leg is healing fine no signs of anything bad but he did say he is still in pain.I voiced my concern about the anxiousness & the amount of meds but he said to keep him comfortable & on the meds for another 2 weeks til next check up. He is 10 now so his age must a factor in a slower recovery.

Thanks again

Have you tried anything for the anxiousness? Eg a pet remedy plugin or even their spray? I've found it very good for Bailey.

Have you tried anything for the anxiousness? Eg a pet remedy plugin or even their spray? I've found it very good for Bailey.

I didn't realise you could get anything like that. I will have a look. Thank you tk123 .

I didn't realise you could get anything like that. I will have a look. Thank you tk123 , hes still hasn't put the leg down yet by the way!!

• Advertisement

I didn't realise you could get anything like that. I will have a look. Thank you tk123 , hes still hasn't put the leg down yet by the way!!

If hes not putting his leg down, he probably has found that its sore, so hes maybe putting off putting any weight on the leg as a result. Tiny tiny walks a few times a day when you're taking him to toilet - I thought our guy would be 3 legged forever, but it seemed to happen suddenly and then more and more.

There is Nutriscience KALM AID might be worth a try too, Ive found it good - or as TK123 says, there are plug-ins and sprays (Adaptil etc) which I havent used personally, but there are very good reviews on here.

aonb wrote: »

If hes not putting his leg down, he probably has found that its sore, so hes maybe putting off putting any weight on the leg as a result. Tiny tiny walks a few times a day when you're taking him to toilet - I thought our guy would be 3 legged forever, but it seemed to happen suddenly and then more and more.

There is Nutriscience KALM AID might be worth a try too, Ive found it good - or as TK123 says, there are plug-ins and sprays (Adaptil etc) which I havent used personally, but there are very good reviews on here.

Well 26 days post op now & still on 3 legs!! Doing small walks daily around the garden & he trying to run on the 3 legs! He lost quiet a lot of muscle mass in the leg & a lot of body fat too.
    Vet rang today for consult & wants to see him again in a week. His anxiety has calmed down a bit now thankfully.
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience .

I wonder if he has an iliopsoas (pronounced ill-e-o-so-as lol :o) strain/tear? This would account for what you're seeing now with him being unwilling/unable to put the leg down? The good news is that it's not his knee and it is fixable with rest and rehab. Bailey strained his after both surgeries and a few weeks in this time around he was suddenly lame and toe touching - I knew from experience from the other side what it was. We do a lot regular rehab at home to strengthen it and he also gets laser on one side every week as that side is chronic. I have a photizo for at home too. I'd ask your vet to check when he's in with him... In the meantime it wouldn't hurt to apply heat to the area - you can google to get a better pics but you want to lift his leg tuck the heat pack on the inside so it's between his leg and groin/tummy..so like his armpit but his back leg if that makes sense. I use wheat packs for this as they're moist heat and will form around where you want them to lie.

https://science-art.com/image/default_mar-2011.asp?id=6994&m=58&pagename=Common_injury_sites_in_sporting_dogs

I wonder if he has an iliopsoas (pronounced ill-e-o-so-as lol :o) strain/tear? This would account for what you're seeing now with him being unwilling/unable to put the leg down? The good news is that it's not his knee and it is fixable with rest and rehab. Bailey strained his after both surgeries and a few weeks in this time around he was suddenly lame and toe touching - I knew from experience from the other side what it was. We do a lot regular rehab at home to strengthen it and he also gets laser on one side every week as that side is chronic. I have a photizo for at home too. I'd ask your vet to check when he's in with him... In the meantime it wouldn't hurt to apply heat to the area - you can google to get a better pics but you want to lift his leg tuck the heat pack on the inside so it's between his leg and groin/tummy..so like his armpit but his back leg if that makes sense. I use wheat packs for this as they're moist heat and will form around where you want them to lie.

https://science-art.com/image/default_mar-2011.asp?id=6994&m=58&pagename=Common_injury_sites_in_sporting_dogs

Thank you tk123

I really am starting to worry now if I'm honest,

when at the vets last week he say if this continues he may have to go back into the leg again as there's no reason why he shouldn't be walking on it. My son thinks the bad leg looks slightly shorter than the other leg but I think he's walking over on the good side to compensate & has shifted his weight. I'm not sure I could put him though that pain again it was so brutal for him plus he has epilespy so there is a high chance of fitting. He's due back to the vet on 14th Dec. He's still on all the medication but I actually i think he doesn't need as much I'm the one that's with him 24/7 So I see when he's in pain & when he's not. It's very distressing at this stage.

Thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

Have you tried him on a harness and let him pull ?
    One of mine had surgery years ago on his hip and to get him walking on 4 legs we had to get him to pull on a harness. It ruined his loose lead walking but it got him back on 4 paws.

It’s really hard to walk on 3 paws when they are pulling on their harness.

Have you tried him on a harness and let him pull ?
    One of mine had surgery years ago on his hip and to get him walking on 4 legs we had to get him to pull on a harness. It ruined his loose lead walking but it got him back on 4 paws.

It’s really hard to walk on 3 paws when they are pulling on their harness.

No I haven't tried that but I will give it a go as soon as this frosty spell is gone as it's quiet slippy the last couple of days. He really is causing me concern. He's never on his own so his rehab is constant the joint is mobile& the pain is under control even his anxiousness is abating. Holding the leg up constantly must be so tiring, I've tried causing a distraction when he's in the garden to see if he'll momentarily forget & drop it but to no avail. But I'll keep trying.
    Thank you so much for your suggestion.

hope it works for you, it can take time and become a habit to carry the leg

depending where you are in the country hydro could be an idea too, my boy HATED it but it does help to rebuild and the person in the pool with him should be trained to support him in using the leg

Let us know how he is getting on

hope it works for you, it can take time and become a habit to carry the leg

depending where you are in the country hydro could be an idea too, my boy HATED it but it does help to rebuild and the person in the pool with him should be trained to support him in using the leg

Let us know how he is getting on

Hi there
    Firstly thank you all so much for your experiences and advice it's very heartening that people answered.

Well Bertie wasn't himself at all yesterday very jittery & going round in circles again like a repeat of the first day post op so I called the vets &they said to bring him in immediately. Vet checked him over said he couldn't see anything out of the ordinary with the knee. He said he would like to have him in today for the day to do xrays & check the stabilisation of the leg under sedation. We'er just home now. Vets verdict is all good he said nothings a miss in leg the implant is as it should be & stabilisation is good. He did say that the leg probably feels very different to him as a piece of the damaged meniscus was removed & there's a small bit of inflammation there but nothing major so to be on the safe side he's put him on a short course of antibiotics. Im praying this will help him drop the leg.
    I live in Dublin so there's several choices for the hydro but vet said it's a bit too early for it & that he needs to get through this bit first but it's defo on the cards.

Again thanks so much!

Ah try not to worry too much! That’s great news that the knee is ok. Don’t mind what other dogs are doing and where they are in their recovery - just let him go at his own pace. He could be the opposite using it too much and giving you heart attacks! Bailey tried to stand with his two paws up on the counter at the vets to get treats a few days in.. he also infiltrated my barricades (ie everything I could pick up and and put on the couches) and got up on the couch too - he waited until my morning call to do it and I shouted sh1t into my headset lol :o

Ah try not to worry too much! That’s great news that the knee is ok. Don’t mind what other dogs are doing and where they are in their recovery - just let him go at his own pace. He could be the opposite using it too much and giving you heart attacks! Bailey tried to stand with his two paws up on the counter at the vets to get treats a few days in.. he also infiltrated my barricades (ie everything I could pick up and and put on the couches) and got up on the couch too - he waited until my morning call to do it and I shouted sh1t into my headset lol :o

Your Bailey sounds like trouble lol. I'm just going to go with it now & see what happens over the next few weeks we are all exhausted at home & need a good rest. I'm way behind on my course work & have 3 assignments to get in before Christmas break & somehow I don't think " my dog had an operation " excuse will cut it :)

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah god, you poor thing :o They'd worry you so much when things aren't right.
    Did the vet breach the subject of doing any bit of gentle physiotherapy with your dog? Such as you gently moving his injured leg while he's lying down?
    It might be that they wanted to wait for it to heal a bit, but just curious as to whether it's on the cards.
    It might not do any harm to consider using any one or a combo of some of the anxiety-reducing products, such as a Thundershirt/calming wrap/calming jacket, an Adaptil Diffuser/spray/collar, or protein-based food supplements such as VetPro or Yucalm. They may just help him feel a little more settled in himself.

DBB wrote: »
    Ah god, you poor thing :o They'd worry you so much when things aren't right.
    Did the vet breach the subject of doing any bit of gentle physiotherapy with your dog? Such as you gently moving his injured leg while he's lying down?
    It might be that they wanted to wait for it to heal a bit, but just curious as to whether it's on the cards.
    It might not do any harm to consider using any one or a combo of some of the anxiety-reducing products, such as a Thundershirt/calming wrap/calming jacket, an Adaptil Diffuser/spray/collar, or protein-based food supplements such as VetPro or Yucalm. They may just help him feel a little more settled in himself.

Hi DBB
    Thanks for your reply.
    He will let me do the physio plan the vet gave me when he's lying on his side, I put heat packs on first to warm up the leg & I start it 30 mins after pain relief the knee is easy to manipulate & he lets me for about 5 mins but that's it. The anxiousness has calmed right down thank God as he was in such a state. He's on antibiotics now for a week so we'll see how goes. I've made a note of all the suggestions you lovely helpful people have given me. I've come to the conclusion that having a dog is more stressful than having kids!! We are a household of 3 fair intelligent & sensible adults and we are all distraught over a tiny quirky crazy dog who dominates our lives!

Look thank you all so much I'm eternally grateful for all your help suggestions & shared experiences.

I was thinking of your little dog this morning OP when I was doing Bailey’s hill climbing phyiso in the park! :o I think I’d have run out of patience and would be trying some tricks to see if he puts the leg down when he’s not really thinking about it. I’d try having him stand with his front feet on something - a cushion, a book etc - it doesn’t need to be very tall.. and then stand in front of him and encourage him to reach forward for the treat... or stand behind him and move the treat around to his side - this should make him follow the treat and want to shift his weight and possibly put the leg down for balance. You work on the opposite side - so eg if you want him to shift onto his rear left you’d move the treat to his right. Even something as simple as asking him to give his paw with something very tasty and alternating which paw his gives - again giving the right paw will shift his weight to back left.

I was thinking of your little dog this morning OP when I was doing Bailey’s hill climbing phyiso in the park! :o I think I’d have run out of patience and would be trying some tricks to see if he puts the leg down when he’s not really thinking about it. I’d try having him stand with his front feet on something - a cushion, a book etc - it doesn’t need to be very tall.. and then stand in front of him and encourage him to reach forward for the treat... or stand behind him and move the treat around to his side - this should make him follow the treat and want to shift his weight and possibly put the leg down for balance. You work on the opposite side - so eg if you want him to shift onto his rear left you’d move the treat to his right. Even something as simple as asking him to give his paw with something very tasty and alternating which paw his gives - again giving the right paw will shift his weight to back left.

Hi

Well there's been the tinest bit of toe touching today very brief only lasting a few seconds but im hoping its the breakthrought we need. Took him out to the garden, off he went on 3 legs down the path but as soon as he got to the grass the foot dropped down i couldn't see if it was all the way down as it was lashing rain but definitely dropped. The grass was very soggy so he may have felt unstable on 3. Im praying it's the start! Anxiousness almost gone too.

Will keep you all posted. Again thanks so much so reassuring knowning others had the same experience & gained the knowledge.

Great news at last.. a new mixture of hopping and toe touching happening since yesterday im so happy as is the vet. Looks like he could end up being a bit lame but at least we'er going in the right direction. I'll keep going with the physio plan and hopefully we'll get there.

Thank you all so much for your replies and encouraging words it really helped.

Happy christmas to you all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Woohoo! Brilliant! Great news. Well done for your patience op :)

DBB wrote: »
    Woohoo! Brilliant! Great news. Well done for your patience op :)

Thanks. I cant tell you how relieved we are. I wonder if the vet can give me a sick cert to cover my overdue assignments! 🙄

Thanks. I cant tell you how relieved we are. I wonder if the vet can give me a sick cert to cover my overdue assignments! 🙄

Just wondered if there is any update on how things are going?

Just wondered if there is any update on how things are going?

Hi there

Well things arent going great . Hes still hopping bearly putting the paw down & when he does you can still his paw pads so hes only toe touching basically. Hes in the middle of a course of hydrotheraphy & the therapist says he can use the leg no problem in the water & he pushes against his hand while swimming. Ive seen him do this myself . Then hes comes out & reverts back to 3 legs again. Im really unsure what to do next to be honest.
    Thanks so much for asking.

• Advertisement

Gosh, thats very disappointing and worrying - its been over 3 months since the surgery isnt it? What does your vet think about this long recuperation? What does the physio say? I remember you said that he had been back to the vet who did various xrays etc, and that the vet thought it all looked ok. Would it be worthwhile to ask the vet for those post-op xrays and get a second opinion?
    Is the dog in good form and eating and sleeping well etc?
    (our terrier sailed through this surgery, but I talked to a neighbour who's very lightweight terrier bitch had
    the surgery just after xmas, and she too is still not using the repaired leg...)

Advertisement