Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats eating poison

Options
  • 25-11-2020 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I am putting loose poison in bale plastic holders similar to the suir pipe. I am careful to make sure the poision is not near the ends of the pipe

I have noticed that while the rats are taking the poision they leave some in the middle of the pipe and aren't inclined to take it.

Is this normal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tomjim wrote: »
    I am putting loose poison in bale plastic holders similar to the suir pipe. I am careful to make sure the poision is not near the ends of the pipe

I have noticed that while the rats are taking the poision they leave some in the middle of the pipe and aren't inclined to take it.

Is this normal

Rats can be pernickety things

The trouble with rats taking away the poison is that they will sometimes store it like food. Years ago neighbour had problems with rats carrying poison into hay bales. The bales had to dumped.

If using poison - try getting the blocks with holes and drive a nail through your bale holder or use wire to secure each block.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When we used poison we used the soaked grain not the blocks.

The grain couldn’t be carried off and was very effective

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭White Clover

_Brian wrote: »
    When we used poison we used the soaked grain not the blocks.

The grain couldn’t be carried off and was very effective

If they weren't going far they will draw the grains and store it. I have the t shirt.
    I couldnt understand the rate at which they were taking the poison until I found the nest and there it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Had a heap of rats in the shed this year - putting down poison now.

They are eating it as I have seen a few bodies about. But I suspect they also stockpiling some - so how long should you leave between poison applications to kinda force them to eat the stuff they have rather then stockpiling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭kk.man

If u get the posion with the holes in it u can put wire through it and store it in those wavin pipes. They won't carry it away. I use this method and find it effective.

Rats take chunks while mice nipple the blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I nail it to 2x1 type timber and into 4-5' lengths of pipe then. The Storm poison doesn't have the hole going all the way through so you need small light nails or the blocks will split. Hate using poison but we were invaded by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Smash up the blocks here with a hammer until its like powder. Have noticed they sometimes will eat the fine grains that are in storm block first night and leave much of the blue poison for a hungrier night. I use empty spud bags for placing poison on.

Traditionally never did put the block on a wire here.have off late and it's being eaten and taken i fear as if you imagine unless their eaten it equally all the way around???that they will be able to get at least a decent piece of the wire or am i wrong in thinking they could manage that??

Anyone think they could be resistant to storm poison after all these years and breeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭kk.man

ruwithme wrote: »
    Smash up the blocks here with a hammer until its like powder. Have noticed they sometimes will eat the fine grains that are in storm block first night and leave much of the blue poison for a hungrier night. I use empty spud bags for placing poison on.

Traditionally never did put the block on a wire here.have off late and it's being eaten and taken i fear as if you imagine unless their eaten it equally all the way around???that they will be able to get at least a decent piece of the wire or am i wrong in thinking they could manage that??

Anyone think they could be resistant to storm poison after all these years and breeding?

I drill a hole in the wavin to tie the wire to and the other end tie wire around the block. I put the wire in the pipe they don't break the block in my experience but either chunks or nipple around it.

If you think their getting chunks off it, I'd say their drawing a certain amount off it home.

When it's in powder like form unless they had a bag with them,they'd have to consume onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Highly likely in the same way as older poisons like warfarin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rats bring out the 'cruel bastard' in me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭50HX

Is this normal

Maybe stop putti g down poison for a week or 2, make em eat what's stock piled

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

This.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is this normal

If loose poison gets damp it will become unpalatable. I have found this before. I use blocks. I thread them through tying wire and use the plastic bale holders to hold them in. I can never see the point of smashing up blocks just tie them with wire in a tube. All blocks even the solid looking ones can have wire pushed through them.

Rats will horde poison if the can. However they find it hard to gnaw off la he enough bits of blocks especially wax blocks. I buy the large 10 kg buckets. I change the type of bucket every time I get a new bucket. It important to make sure you are changing the active ingredient in the blocks not just the bucket name.

Storm is a poison I not particularly fond of. Too many farmers use it. It was one of the few poisons that you could not thread onto wire until recently. As well it a multiple feed poison, it fails to kill on a single feed. Therefore you are more likely to find resistance to it along with the amount of time it's on the market. It's a second generation poison. Third generation kill in a single feed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

If loose poison gets damp it will become unpalatable. I have found this before. I use blocks. I thread them through tying wire and use the plastic bale holders to hold them in. I can never see the point of smashing up blocks just tie them with wire in a tube. All blocks even the solid looking ones can have wire pushed through them.

Rats will horde poison if the can. However they find it hard to gnaw off la he enough bits of blocks especially wax blocks. I buy the large 10 kg buckets. I change the type of bucket every time I get a new bucket. It important to make sure you are changing the active ingredient in the blocks not just the bucket name.

Storm is a poison I not particularly fond of. Too many farmers use it. It was one of the few poisons that you could not thread onto wire until recently. As well it a multiple feed poison, it fails to kill on a single feed. Therefore you are more likely to find resistance to it along with the amount of time it's on the market. It's a second generation poison. Third generation kill in a single feed

Any examples of the third generation poisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Any names of single feed kill poison?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

cuculainn wrote: »
    Any names of single feed kill poison?

Virtually any of the brand's bar storm. Storm make a big play about there's a multi feed poison and this prevents shyness. Read side of container and it will say if its a multifeed or single feed.

I think it's Vertox 25 I got this year, I got a 10 kg bucket. It should last me two years. But it realty pointless looking at particular brands you need to look at ingredients. When I look for the next bucket I will have to change ingredient some brands use the same ingredients. Independent merchants are better than Co-op as they all have different poisons. Most Co-ops stocks only one brand across there shops. So shop around its something you will not be able to buy on price you need to buy the different buckets

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Put poison down the other day through the wite, saw some blue bits on the yard outside the pipe. Hope bo birds are it

Your probably right about changing poison brands/active ingredient bass,but most places only sell storm and would look at you as if you had two heads if you asked had they anything else.

Came across a poison in merchants today jade its called. €36 for 3 kg blocks that is.
    Anyone use jade?

Advertisement