Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Advice

Options
  • 25-11-2020 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi, I want to buy a laptop and am seeking some direction about the machine I should get.

My budget is ideally around €600 but I could stretch to €900 for something that's really worth it.

I will be using it for browsing the internet, college work (I'm one of those annoying people who will open 80 tabs when doing work) and using word/excel/powerpoint.

Also, I'm applying for a part time course on Building information Modelling and will need the laptop to reach this specification.

Spec taken from Value: Balanced price and performance
    Revit® 2021

Value: Balanced price and performance

Operating System
    64-bit Microsoft® Windows® 10. See Autodesk's Product Support Lifecycle for support information.

CPU Type
    Single- or Multi-Core Intel®, Xeon®, or i-Series processor or AMD® equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended.

Autodesk® Revit® software products use multiple cores for many tasks.

Memory
    16 GB RAM

Usually sufficient for a typical editing session for a single model up to approximately 300 MB on disk. This estimate is based on internal testing and customer reports. Individual models will vary in their use of computer resources and performance characteristics.

Models created in previous versions of Revit software products may require more available memory for the one-time upgrade process.

Video Display Resolutions
    Minimum: 1680 x 1050 with true color

Maximum: Ultra-High (4k) Definition Monitor

Video Adapter
    DirectX 11 capable graphics card with Shader Model 5 and a minimum of 4GB of video memory.

Disk Space
    30 GB free disk space

Media
    Download or installation from DVD9 or USB key

Pointing Device
    MS-Mouse or 3Dconnexion® compliant device

.NET Framework
    .NET Framework Version 4.8 or later.

Browser
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 or higher

Connectivity
    Internet connection for license registration and prerequisite component download

The laptop doesn't have to be portable as I will be using it at home and I don't require it for professional work.

I'm not afraid of upgrading relatively simple things such as RAM and the memory but will likely struggle with anything more complex.

I have seen glasso recommend quite a few laptops, particularly the Honor range as they are excellent value. I'm unsure of purchasing any Chinese laptops as I know the CCP harvest data through malware in Chinese made smartphones and apps, is this likely to be the case with the Honor brand as well? Granted I'm not a threat to the security of the Chinese state but nonetheless I don't want even more parties snooping at what I'm typing in a Word document.

With black Friday coming up I want to keep an eye out for a bargain and from what I have read the items below are what I think I should be looking for.

-metal frame
    -min 16 gb RAM
    -512gb ssd
    -Intel i5 &i7 8th generation and up or Ryzen 5 4500U
    -15"-16" screen
    -minimum 300 nits

Any contributions from those in the know are appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

magicbook pro is the obvious choice for you

check it out on amazon or hihonor.com

or if you don't need metal build then the 300 nits screen option here

legion 5 is plastic but a solid build

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Lenovo-Legion-5-15ARH05/p/88GMY501444

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭64869923

glasso wrote: »
    or if you don't need metal build then the 300 nits screen option here

legion 5 is plastic but a solid build

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Lenovo-Legion-5-15ARH05/p/88GMY501444

Glasso, thanks for the help, I have a knowledge gaps about laptops and getting the help of someone who is knowledgeable makes a big difference.

I like the Lenovo because quite a bit of it can be upgraded and it has wifi6. The plastic puts me off a bit as I think the metal chassis and casing of the Magicbook will give it greater durability and as these machines can be around for 5 years or more that makes a difference.

Performance wise is there much difference between them, granted the Lenovo has a dedicated GPU but does that make much of a difference?

Also, just say for arguments sake that I wanted to start making videos for youtube twice a week does that alter which one is more suited to my criteria?

Finally, they seem very similar with the exception of the lenovo having the dedicated GPU and also having a slightly better screen, wifi 6 and a more powerful battery.

64869923 wrote: »
    Glasso, thanks for the help, I have a knowledge gaps about laptops and getting the help of someone who is knowledgeable makes a big difference.

I like the Lenovo because quite a bit of it can be upgraded and it has wifi6. The plastic puts me off a bit as I think the metal chassis and casing of the Magicbook will give it greater durability and as these machines can be around for 5 years or more that makes a difference.

Performance wise is there much difference between them, granted the Lenovo has a dedicated GPU but does that make much of a difference?

Also, just say for arguments sake that I wanted to start making videos for youtube twice a week does that alter which one is more suited to my criteria?

Finally, they seem very similar with the exception of the lenovo having the dedicated GPU and also having a slightly better screen, wifi 6 and a more powerful battery.

Screens are very similar on the 300 nit option.

Gpu on lenovo be metal build on magic book pro main difference. Lenovo a lot heavier

Wifi card could be updated for cheap if required

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭blackbox

Is there any risk with Honor/Huawei that you won't be able to get Windows updates (like
    situation for Android)?

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »
    Is there any risk with Honor/Huawei that you won't be able to get Windows updates (like
    situation for Android)?

no

Advertisement