Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nipt test

Options
  • 25-11-2020 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all. I'm 7 weeks pregnant on Thursday with my second baby. My first baby is 9. I'm 34 years old and my doctor talked to be about the nipt test. I have this booked for early Dec the Evie clinic. Honestly I'm terrified of the results and keep thinking What if? Back in 2011 when I had my son, I wasn't even aware of this test (or if it even existed!!). Now I keep worrying due to my age. I cannot find online the percentage of positive results of this test which is odd.

I'm just wondering what everyone's experience of this was? How did you find the scan before the bloods - was it thorough, or was it just to check the pregnancy was viable?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rubi Hatshepsut

Don’t worry about your age, you’re still a baby!

I’m 39, had the harmony test done at evie when I was 10 weeks, this year. They are all lovely there! The results came all negative.

I don’t believe very much that age is a factor ( unless you are 60 ) for those kind of things, I think is more if you or your husband have somewhere hidden in yours DNA, I don’t know, I might be wrong..

Regarding the scan before the bloods, I’m private, so don’t know about public, but my first scan was at evie when I was 6 weeks just to see if i was really pregnant, after that went at 10 weeks just to check heartbeat and get the harmony done.

My bloods were taken at 12 weeks at the hospital.

Come back to the clinic to get scan done at 14,16,18 weeks.

Then the only very detailed scan I got was to check the kid’s Health and vital organs at 21 weeks, again at evie. And they give you 4D images of the kid.

After that got scanned at 26,30,34,35,36 weeks so far.

I can’t wait for this to be over :/ looking forward to drink a gigantic margarita :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I got the Harmony test done back in the Summer and im 41 and got the all clear. The scan is just a routine one and they can tell a little bit from the scan too whether there might be any issues too. Try not to worry. At 34 you are still very young and i wouldn't be overly concerned that your age would have much baring on the results. You can also find out the sex too if you want from the blood test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m 34 and on my third baby, had the harmony on all of them. I actually love it, the scan is late enough to see a proper baby shape jumping around and because I was always quite sick at that stage I find finding out the gender so early gives me a bit of a boost for the rest of the trimester. Never really worried too much for the results, just put it out of your mind until they call. It makes your 20 week anomaly scan less nerve wracking too when you’d a clear result in the harmony already

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

I got the harmony test done in September, at 11 weeks, then again at 13 weeks as the first bloods didn't work. Mine was at Merrion Fetal Health but I assume they are all similar.

I found the scans great, much better than the mini scan I got at the booking appointment (NMH public)! The scans lasted 10-15 minutes and both times the sonographer was very thoughout, showing me everything. As somebody above said it was great to see the proper baby shape, hands... And the peace of mind after hearing the good results, as well as knowing the gender that early, made it all feel more real.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gigglybits

Hey, I had the Panorama done in Evie clinic there about 5 weeks ago. I'm 42. I also had this done 4 years ago, at 38, on my first baby. The scan beforehand is great, you get to see the baby, I even got a little wave and you get to hear the heartbeat. I have a retroverted uterus so the ultrasound was not as clear so they asked if I would like a transvaginal one as well, which I did. There was no rush and it all felt very comfortable. The staff there were all lovely and warm. I understand that the 'what if' thoughts come into your head but do your best to swat them away, they do no good. Try and replace them with a positive thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tsejpf973um0ra

Don’t worry about your age, you’re still a baby!

I’m 39, had the harmony test done at evie when I was 10 weeks, this year. They are all lovely there! The results came all negative.

I don’t believe very much that age is a factor ( unless you are 60 ) for those kind of things, I think is more if you or your husband have somewhere hidden in yours DNA, I don’t know, I might be wrong..

Regarding the scan before the bloods, I’m private, so don’t know about public, but my first scan was at evie when I was 6 weeks just to see if i was really pregnant, after that went at 10 weeks just to check heartbeat and get the harmony done.

My bloods were taken at 12 weeks at the hospital.

Come back to the clinic to get scan done at 14,16,18 weeks.

Then the only very detailed scan I got was to check the kid’s Health and vital organs at 21 weeks, again at evie. And they give you 4D images of the kid.

After that got scanned at 26,30,34,35,36 weeks so far.

I can’t wait for this to be over 🙠looking forward to drink a gigantic margarita :)

Thank you so much. How far along are you now? I'm going private also. I've my first appt at 9 weeks the day after the Panarama test. Best of luck in the next few weeks - won't be long before you hold your gorgeous baby x

andreac wrote: »
    I got the Harmony test done back in the Summer and im 41 and got the all clear. The scan is just a routine one and they can tell a little bit from the scan too whether there might be any issues too. Try not to worry. At 34 you are still very young and i wouldn't be overly concerned that your age would have much baring on the results. You can also find out the sex too if you want from the blood test.

Thanks so much xx

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I’m 34 and on my third baby, had the harmony on all of them. I actually love it, the scan is late enough to see a proper baby shape jumping around and because I was always quite sick at that stage I find finding out the gender so early gives me a bit of a boost for the rest of the trimester. Never really worried too much for the results, just put it out of your mind until they call. It makes your 20 week anomaly scan less nerve wracking too when you’d a clear result in the harmony already

Thanks so much - this is really reassuring x

ucsie wrote: »
    I got the harmony test done in September, at 11 weeks, then again at 13 weeks as the first bloods didn't work. Mine was at Merrion Fetal Health but I assume they are all similar.

I found the scans great, much better than the mini scan I got at the booking appointment (NMH public)! The scans lasted 10-15 minutes and both times the sonographer was very thoughout, showing me everything. As somebody above said it was great to see the proper baby shape, hands... And the peace of mind after hearing the good results, as well as knowing the gender that early, made it all feel more real.

Thanks so much xx

gigglybits wrote: »
    Hey, I had the Panorama done in Evie clinic there about 5 weeks ago. I'm 42. I also had this done 4 years ago, at 38, on my first baby. The scan beforehand is great, you get to see the baby, I even got a little wave and you get to hear the heartbeat. I have a retroverted uterus so the ultrasound was not as clear so they asked if I would like a transvaginal one as well, which I did. There was no rush and it all felt very comfortable. The staff there were all lovely and warm. I understand that the 'what if' thoughts come into your head but do your best to swat them away, they do no good. Try and replace them with a positive thought.

Thanks so much. This is really reassuring. Hope you're feeling well x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Rubi Hatshepsut

Thank you so much. How far along are you now? I'm going private also. I've my first appt at 9 weeks the day after the Panarama test. Best of luck in the next few weeks - won't be long before you hold your gorgeous baby x

Thank you very much for the best wishes Sarhk! I really appreciate it ;)

I’m 36 weeks+5 days... I can’t wait to not be pregnant anymore Sarhk, It’s been such a long journey, and for me the first 4 months I thought I would die, it was the worst experience of my life, after that I manage to eat again and drink water...

But I got to the end of the year and I am happy 2020 is ending :)

You don’t worry about the harmony/panorama test, they will come back all clear! and you will find out the sex as a bonus (if you choose to be told) then you can start picking names and getting the cute outfits

I will send good energy to you so you have a very lovely pregnancy, where you feel good all the 9 months! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Hi OP,
    Just wanted to offer another perspective.
    Be prepared for a high risk result as it can happen.
    Our scan was fine but I got a call a few days after the blood test from my consultant to say there was a risk of one syndrome and she recommended amniocentesis. This can only be done after a certain date so I was in limbo for a fortnight and it took a week for those results to come back, so for about a month we were a bit worried. Thankfully all was fine in the end and I now have a very lively two year old but I just wanted to let you know it isn't always as straightforward as we hope.
    I only got it done on my last pregnancy as I was a bit older and we wanted all the info so would could make an informed decision about whether we'd continue the pregnancy if something was confirmed.

lazygal wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    Just wanted to offer another perspective.
    Be prepared for a high risk result as it can happen.
    Our scan was fine but I got a call a few days after the blood test from my consultant to say there was a risk of one syndrome and she recommended amniocentesis. This can only be done after a certain date so I was in limbo for a fortnight and it took a week for those results to come back, so for about a month we were a bit worried. Thankfully all was fine in the end and I now have a very lively two year old but I just wanted to let you know it isn't always as straightforward as we hope.
    I only got it done on my last pregnancy as I was a bit older and we wanted all the info so would could make an informed decision about whether we'd continue the pregnancy if something was confirmed.

Hi thanks for this. I'm realistic about it. I got the test done on Thurs. How many days were you waiting x

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Laura Lopez

Hi

I'm 37 years old and almost 9 weeks pregnant. After two years trying this feels like a miracle!. Due to my age and also history of chromosome disorder in my family I would like to book a panorama test as soon as possible. Do any of you know where in Galway city can this be done?

Any information you can give me will be truly appreciate

English is not my first language so I apologize for any misspellings :)

Advertisement