Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower problems.

Options
  • 24-11-2020 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I’m renting a house and both showers and now broke. The landlord has no intentions of fixing them so I’m going to have to sort it myself. The one down stairs is a triton safeguard pump , it was brand new when I moved in and just stopped working , when I take off the cover it’s all rusty inside , is it an easy job to just replace it with another cheaper pumped shower ?

The one upstairs only stopped working yesterday , when I pull the cord the light doesn’t come on and no power , any ideas ? It’s not a trip switch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

rottie 11 wrote:
    The one upstairs only stopped working yesterday , when I pull the cord the light doesn’t come on and no power , any ideas ? It’s not a trip switch

It definitely sounds like an electrical issue. Pull cord switch or faulty trip switch. Trip switch can fail in the on position so it being up only tells you that it's up. It doesn't prove that it is working.

The safe guard shower can be expensive to repair. Does anything happen when you turn it on? It's possible that it's an electrical issue linked to the other shower. There should be a priority switch for the two showers and this could be the issue. A registered electrical contractor is required for this work by law

Your landlord is getting you in legal difficulties here. It's illegal for you to replace the shower, pull cord switch or trip switch. You can actually end up in prison. Unlikely put possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It definitely sounds like an electrical issue. Pull cord switch or faulty trip switch. Trip switch can fail in the on position so it being up only tells you that it's up. It doesn't prove that it is working.

The safe guard shower can be expensive to repair. Does anything happen when you turn it on? It's possible that it's an electrical issue linked to the other shower. There should be a priority switch for the two showers and this could be the issue. A registered electrical contractor is required for this work by law

Your landlord is getting you in legal difficulties here. It's illegal for you to replace the shower, pull cord switch or trip switch. You can actually end up in prison. Unlikely put possible.

Well the safeguard shower is in a new extension so the showers would hardly be linked ? I think they are seperate fuse boards.

I know I wouldn’t change it myself but I’d be looking to buy a cheaper shower that will just replace the safeguard with out any major works. One with the same pipes etc that will just fit straight on the pipes

rottie 11 wrote:
    Well the safeguard shower is in a new extension so the showers would hardly be linked ? I think they are seperate fuse boards.

If there are two electric showers in the same apartment then they are most likely linked unless there is 3 phase electricity
    rottie 11 wrote:
    I know I wouldn’t change it myself but I’d be looking to buy a cheaper shower that will just replace the safeguard with out any major works. One with the same pipes etc that will just fit straight on the pipes

Assuming you have a pumped electric safe guard shower then it will need to be replaced with a pumped electric shower. Something like a Triton t90sr. The plumbing & electrics are on the opposite side of the shower but this shouldn't be a problem for an installer

If you have a mains fed safe guard shower then almost any mains fed shower will replace it.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If there are two electric showers in the same apartment then they are most likely linked unless there is 3 phase electricity

Assuming you have a pumped electric safe guard shower then it will need to be replaced with a pumped electric shower. Something like a Triton t90sr. The plumbing & electrics are on the opposite side of the shower but this shouldn't be a problem for an installer

If you have a mains fed safe guard shower then almost any mains fed shower will replace it.

Cheers for the info. The one downstairs Is definitely pumped it says safeguard pump shower thermostatic, the one upstairs I’m not sure about it’s a triton t80xr. What would you reckon I should do ? Get someone In to see the problem with the t80xr ? Or just replace the safeguard ? Or just replace the one upstairs without getting it checked

rottie 11 wrote:
    Cheers for the info. The one downstairs Is definitely pumped it says safeguard pump shower thermostatic, the one upstairs I’m not sure about it’s a triton t80xr. What would you reckon I should do ? Get someone In to see the problem with the t80xr ? Or just replace the safeguard ? Or just replace the one upstairs without getting it checked

Cal in an electrician that can replace the shower & /or replace the trip switch or pull cord switch. T80xr is obsolete so due a change anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

You definitely need a competent electrician to establish what is wrong with both units. Unusual to have two electric showers in the house and they must be wired so that only one can operate at a time. Risk of fuse board fire otherwise. Ask the landlord to do the work and if he refuses I would get the work done and deduct it from rent. Give your landlord receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pullcords break all the time. The mechanisms are a common fault.

I’m going to get an electrition in and see what he thinks. Thanks

Advertisement