Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanley range timer with smart plug

Options
  • 24-11-2020 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Stanley oil range which does the central heating thats around 20 years old (I don't use it for hot water). It has a basic timer function on it so you can set the heating to come on at certain times of day etc. I want to change the timer to something more sophisticated that I can use with Alexa or my Home Assistant server but after trying multiple times with Stanley and some reps in the reseller shops it appears I can't get a better timer for it.

It came to me recently that I could attach a smart wifi plug to it, set the timer switch on permanently and then I can control when it comes on and off via the smart plug.

What I'm wondering is whether it is ok to cut the power and restore the power to the system in this fashion without damaging something, or does the on/off switch on the timer do something else other than cut power to the oil burner? i.e. I presume its not similar to cutting the power to a computer where a proper shutdown should happen?

Advertisement