Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does modern music tell us about society?

Options
  • 24-11-2020 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

One thing that I notice is this search for a stripped back authenticity.

Hypersexualisation: Cardi B and Arianna Grande.

Very self-aware

Loneliness and alienation. We live in a society where everything is cheap and transient. This reflects in the mournful sorrows of singers like Taylor Swift for an idealised time where things felt pure and real.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Very self-aware

Loneliness and alienation. We live in a society where everything is cheap and transient. This reflects in the mournful sorrows of singers like Taylor Swift for an idealised time where things felt pure and real.

I think in her case she is oft to blame for her mournful sorrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Her music reflects a struggle to come to terms with the sexually liberalised women. Deep down she pines for traditional gender roles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm not sure there was ever a golden age when music was pure, real and authentic.

All music is marketed.
    That includes the 'right on' artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There are still some amazing artists making music. Indie electronic kind of stuff is my favourite at the moment. The age of the guitar band is gone, been done to death, good riddance.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

There are still some amazing artists making music. Indie electronic kind of stuff is my favourite at the moment. The age of the guitar band is gone, been done to death, good riddance.

Links?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Links?

Never heard of them , but I'd recommend " the Kinks " Sunby Afternoon, Lola, Come Dancing and so on with lots of gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The lyrics are outstanding.

A line from Bieber's new song as an example:

"Wise men say fools rush in, but I don't know".

A modern day poet I think you'd all agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Tells us we are ****ed. But then again, I guess our grandparents would say the same about our own era of music/artists when we saw nothing wrong with it, so maybe it doesn't really tell us anything...

In my own opinion I think the extremes like Cardi B and the likes don't exactly paint a great picture to live up to or a good role model for the youth. The music isn't here nor there, it's the attitudes and actions outside of the music that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Very self-aware

It tells us that there’s plenty of variety in modern music, which is reflected in society. Taylor Swift is one of modern musics more versatile artists, having successfully transitioned from country, to popular music, to some head scratchers. She’s changed her presentation and music style more times in a shorter space of time than Madonna!

There are plenty of people in my experience have genuinely never heard of Cardi B or Ariana Grande. It’s often argued alright that music has become cheap and transient, but it hasn’t, it’s just become more accessible to people who would never have been able to afford old forms of media, and it’s become a whole lot easier for artists who would previously never have had a chance to be heard in an industry dominated by moguls in record companies making enormous profits - Sony, Mowtown, Stock Aitken Waterman, etc.

• Advertisement

I like that lyric. I would guess that a lot of lyrics in isolation don't have much depth. I like this line because he's reacting to an oft used quote but it's like, that doesn't apply to me, I like this girl so much, my love ins unique, I'll be the exception

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

The Top 40 tells us that you need the attention span of a gnat because songs are repetitive and short of the depth they once had.

Links?

This week, I are been mostly listenin' to...

Caribou, Christian Loffler, Tame Impala, Bicep, O'Flynn, Olafur Arnalds, Kiasmos, Jamie xx, Bob Moses, Rival Consoles, Rufus Du Sol, Grimes, MGMT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Vaccuous, soulless and transient.

Given that the music of the moment is reflective of youth tastes, it's more a sign of society to come in a generation than a current state of affairs.

Vaccuous, soulless and transient.

Given that the music of the moment is reflective of youth tastes, it's more a sign of society to come in a generation than a current state of affairs.

Said every old person ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Bob Dylan - who won a fücking Nobel Prize for Literature - has the line

“Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup”

Justin’s doing ok in comparison to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

I think what modern music tells us about society is this, society can't rely on the mainstream and popular media to provide your needs for any sort of current artistic culture that you need and want to enjoy. You have to rely on your own searching and your own work to find what you need and will enjoy. A lot can't be bothered doing that, so IMO thats what modern music, film, art or any other sort of culture has to say about modern society.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

There's more to modern music than Cardi B and Arianna Grande

One thing I find is that music no longer defines me. I listen to a lot of music but I'd hardly define myself as a music. afficionado. It's like after a certain age music doesn't imprint on your identity like it once did.

Rothko wrote: »
    There's more to modern music than Cardi B and Arianna Grande

My general point is what music tells us about our culture. I amnt interested in the musical landscape in and of itself, more so music as a thing in the world that reflects societ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Hypersexualisation

Very self-aware

Loneliness and alienation.

Very same could (and was!) said about what I was listening to in my teens, and I'm pretty sure it was said every generation prior to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh for God's sake! It is 1954 again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

Its a reflection of my loyalty to all the old school DJs and producers who are still putting out good house music, not your modern Tiësto shoite, I mean real groovy jazzy, Deep house....

There's the odd up and coming producer's on the house and minimal techno scene, but they just don't have what the New York, Chicago, and Parisians have...

And that's Class

One thing I find is that music no longer defines me. I listen to a lot of music but I'd hardly define myself as a music. afficionado. It's like after a certain age music doesn't imprint on your identity like it once did.

I think since the advent of the internet, the arrival of identity politics, and the rise of the mobile phone camera, people's identity isn't as affected by music as it was back in the day..Everyone has access to everything now..If someone is going around thinking they're cool because they listen to the newest generic hipster sh*te it's kind of more sad than anything else..Everyone is the star of their own show now, and like, everything has been taken apart..There's the generic youtube way to present yourself..no one is depressed anymore..Everyone talks with their hands..A lot of it is facade..Even the music, it rarely deals in raw human emotion anymore, and if it does it's a trite overemphasis..

Back in my day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

People are stupid.

I think since the advent of the internet, the arrival of identity politics, and the rise of the mobile phone camera, people's identity isn't as affected by music as it was back in the day..Everyone has access to everything now..If someone is going around thinking they're cool because they listen to the newest generic hipster sh*te it's kind of more sad than anything else..Everyone is the star of their own show now, and like, everything has been taken apart..There's the generic youtube way to present yourself..no one is depressed anymore..Everyone talks with their hands..A lot of it is facade..Even the music, it rarely deals in raw human emotion anymore, and if it does it's a trite overemphasis..

Back in my day..

The generic hipster ****e comment immediately made me think of DC Fontaine *

I actually like them

The generic hipster ****e comment immediately made me think of DC Fontaine *

I actually like them

I'm that cool I haven't even heard of them..

Advertisement