Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move from PSTN to VoBB ?

Options
  • 24-11-2020 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with Vodafone and have Broadband 100mb and PSTN home phone.

Is it possible to move from PSTN to VoBB?

I assume if one has solid 100mb broadband and the router has the Phone1/2 ports ont he back, Vodafone should be able to facilitate this?

I have an open ticket for them for a few days now so curious if anyone has ever been able to do this either with Vodafone, eir or someone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is there a specific reason you want to do this?

VDSL still uses the same phone wires as PSTN. The advantage of PSTN is the phone still works during a power outage whereas VoBB won't work unless you have a backup power supply.

VoBB is normally used for FTTH installation as it bypasses the PSTN and therefore saves VF the cost of renting the phone line from openeir and on SIRO who don't have PSTN lines or exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yeah the main reason is I have Virgin right now and my home phone number is a "VoBB" number - it's not available as PSTN at the FTTC supply that I have.

So I need to be on VoBB, and then I can port my number over from Virgin.

If it's a geographic number then in theory Vodafone should be able to handle porting that to PSTN (open to correction on that).

Was the number with any provider before VM?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    If it's a geographic number then in theory Vodafone should be able to handle porting that to PSTN (open to correction on that).

Was the number with any provider before VM?

Yep, it was a PSTN number at an old exchange about 5 miles from where I currently live.
    I have the original UAN from eircom when it was a PSTN number.

I think the easiest thing is get on VoBB and port it over from Virgin as these call centre customer service associates haven't a bulls notion what I'm talking about.

In theory, if I have FTTC, should I be able to enable VoBB? A buddy of mine was on PSTN with eir and moved to Vodafone and they put him on VoBB so I was hoping they'd do the same here, but they didn't! :(

In theory, if I have FTTC, should I be able to enable VoBB? A buddy of mine was on PSTN with eir and moved to Vodafone and they put him on VoBB so I was hoping they'd do the same here, but they didn't! :(

Did he move to FTTH? VoBB is the only way to get phone via FTTH unless existing copper line is retained and they usually disconnect the copper when installing FTTH. If he is still on xDSL then it's unusual to have VoBB.

I'm not aware of the intricacies of how they transfer numbers but I would think it's only a matter of updating the routing database and it would be no real difference whether they route it via PSTN or VoBB, it's just a matter of assigning it to the correct database. The main issue with VoBB via VDSL is that they won't give you the login details needed for router settings for the phone port, they probably can do it remotely but they may just as easily route it via PSTN than bother with that process.

• Advertisement

No, he's still on FTTC.
    Speeds of around 60mb via ADSL.

But I remember him calling me after his service to Vodafone was moved saying his home phone wasn't working. I told him try plugging the home phone into the router's "phone" port - voila - it worked.

Can you find out how his router phone port is configured in settings? Was he notified about 'broadband voice' at any stage when he moved to Vodafone?

I presume you've checked the phone port on your own modem for a dial tone?

It may well be possible to activate VoBB on xDSL but it may be difficult to find the right customer service person with the knowledge to get it done without making a bags of it.

Yeah - checked my modem phone port. Dead air. My phone only works when connected to the "Phone" section of the main telephone point.

He said he got a text message about it alright saying his phone was now active and to connect it by the modem port but he had already done this after my advice.

Haven't checked his router settings to be honest! Might give that a try.

Waiting also for a call-back from Vodafone's social media team.

Don't want to lose my phone number, thats for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

You won’t lose your phone number. Even if they screwed up the porting process it’s not reassigned for a very long time and can be recovered.

The porting process in Ireland works a bit like changing DNS records. There’s a shared and centrally managed database which contains a table of which phone number routes to which end point.

So when you make a call, the switch (exchange) has a synchronised copy of this data and just does an instant look up and connect to the correct destination.

Porting simply involves editing the entry on that database.

Good to know!

The port of number was able to be completed while remaining on PSTN.

Now just waiting on Broadband to be activated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement