Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESPP - Taxation

Options
  • 23-11-2020 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi,

I have taken part in an ESPP in work in the last couple of years. Deductions are taken from my payroll each month and twice a year, shares are purchased in the company at a 15% discount.

I wrongly believed the tax to be paid on the discount was being withheld by payroll but it turns out it is not.

So for 2019 & 2020, I have received 4 rounds of shares where I have not paid any tax on the discount.

I can find a bit of detail on the revenue site but I am not fully clear on it.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/additional-incomes/employment-related-shares/unapproved-share-options.aspx

I still have time to submit my 2019 tax return online, is there anywhere within ROS I can work out and input the amount I should have paid tax on for 2019?
    Section 3 is non-PAYE income but I don't see anything around it for discounts on shares and an associated payment.

I think I am required to pay IT at the higher rate, PRSI & USC at the highest rate, so I can probably work out the amount to pay on the discount.

The link above, mentions filling out a RTSO1 form & sending to the Collectors general withing 30 days of receiving the shares. Surely it can be done online if I received shares in the last 30 days.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement