Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Apcoa Clamping

Options
  • 23-11-2020 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Had my car clamped today in a private car park in Dublin by APCOA and wondering how easy it is to get the clamp off without causing damage? Sent the text to register my parking but unbeknownst to me it didn't send and have a hefty fine looking at me now.

At a minimum, I'm going to make them wait a few days for the clamp back as I won't be needing the car until the weekend, but by leaving it sit there, can APCOA tow the car away (it's not causing any obstruction as it is).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

as far as i know apcoa dont tow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The private clampers don't tow. If you leave the car long enough and don't contact them they will remove the clamp. A clamp making no money is no good to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TTS

RFC are the only private company that tow but only if you've already cut one off, they then have to catch you out on the same site, reclamp and then hope to to get the tow truck to lift it before you've come back. Never pay RFC or APCOA, cut it off, you will never hear anything more about it- ex-employee.....

DSPS are the only company that will take you to court with council backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

How easy is it to remove the clamp? Would a large bolt cutters do the job? Or do you need an angle grinder which is a lot more awkward and noticeable!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Homer wrote: »
    How easy is it to remove the clamp? Would a large bolt cutters do the job? Or do you need an angle grinder which is a lot more awkward and noticeable!
    I tried a very large bolt cutters,actually bounced off the chain and damaged the jaws of the cutter. I cut it off after that with a cordless grinder. Nothing easy about this either they are pretty tough chains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Had my car clamped today in a private car park in Dublin by APCOA and wondering how easy it is to get the clamp off without causing damage? Sent the text to register my parking but unbeknownst to me it didn't send and have a hefty fine looking at me now.

At a minimum, I'm going to make them wait a few days for the clamp back as I won't be needing the car until the weekend, but by leaving it sit there, can APCOA tow the car away (it's not causing any obstruction as it is).

The price will increase the longer you leave it and as private clamping is now regulated you can't cut them off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Del2005 wrote: »
    The price will increase the longer you leave it and as private clamping is now regulated you can't cut them off.

As long as they don't see you doing it. Ive cut off at least 10 in the last 6 months - no repercussions at all. I even told the clamper that I was going to cut them off as they keep clamping customers cars despite the fact they are in our spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭POBox19

Try picking it. This guy has dozens of locks picked https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickinglawyer/videos

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hellrazer wrote: »
    As long as they don't see you doing it. Ive cut off at least 10 in the last 6 months - no repercussions at all. I even told the clamper that I was going to cut them off as they keep clamping customers cars despite the fact they are in our spaces.

Any links to what you use to remove them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

antodeco wrote: »
    Any links to what you use to remove them?

Lidl battery angle grinder!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

TTS wrote: »
    RFC are the only private company that tow but only if you've already cut one off, they then have to catch you out on the same site, reclamp and then hope to to get the tow truck to lift it before you've come back. Never pay RFC or APCOA, cut it off, you will never hear anything more about it- ex-employee.....

DSPS are the only company that will take you to court with council backing.

It's hardly still clamped five months later. ;)

Advertisement