Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Deere 6230

Options
  • 23-11-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭

Neighbour is currently looking at one of these. It’s an 2009 and low hours.

He or I know nothing about JD’s but it looks a good tractor. Are they a good model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Dunedin wrote: »
    Neighbour is currently looking at one of these. It’s an 2009 and low hours.

He or I know nothing about JD’s but it looks a good tractor. Are they a good model?

I think they are good machine. Improved alot over the 20 series. I would love to upgrade my 10 series at some stage to one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Is it a premium or standard?

It will have a huge effect on what to watch out for when purchasing

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Is it a premium or standard?

It will have a huge effect on what to watch out for when purchasing

As a matter of interest which is the best. I have a 10 series se version. Its very basis. When the time comes to change I would like a premium spec. But I will be looking at other brands also I am not a JD die heart.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Neighbour has a 07, spec varies a lot on them, some have heavier duty front axle (for a loader), back ends I think can vary too. My neighbour complains about back end being light compared to the rest of the tractor. Common rail system does not like dirty diesel either, so check that.

Nice tractor to drive though. Check the hitch slides in and out properly with weight on it as the sliders wear. Check dash for fault lights coming on when tractor warms up. There's one for the transmission that you wouldn't know wether to believe it or not:confused:. That's really all I know about them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Theheff wrote: »
    As a matter of interest which is the best. I have a 10 series se version. Its very basis. When the time comes to change I would like a premium spec. But I will be looking at other brands also I am not a JD die heart.

It depends on what you consider best.

The premium has better hyd performance, power assisted brakes and can have a better spec.

On the 20 and 30s premium means the engines are 4 valve and the 30s in the premium spec have variable geometry turbo and EGR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭hopeso

Theheff wrote: »

For general farm work the SE or standard is probably more than good enough. A 20 series SE would be a good step forward from your 10 series. A 30 standard would be a huge step up. A well speced 30 series, with TLS, air seat and air con would be a very nice tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭hopeso

blue5000 wrote: »
    Neighbour has a 07, spec varies a lot on them, some have heavier duty front axle (for a loader), back ends I think can vary too. My neighbour complains about back end being light compared to the rest of the tractor. Common rail system does not like dirty diesel either, so check that.

Nice tractor to drive though. Check the hitch slides in and out properly with weight on it as the sliders wear. Check dash for fault lights coming on when tractor warms up. There's one for the transmission that you wouldn't know wether to believe it or not:confused:. That's really all I know about them.

I never heard of the heavier duty axle. I wonder if you're comparing two different ranges? The 5 series and 6 series? If your neighbour is complaining of a light backend, I'd say it's likely a 5 series tractor that he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Dunedin

The general feedback seems to be they’re a good tractor. Like everything you buy secondhand, you need a bit of luck with it and hope there’s no hidden secrets with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭farmertipp

6430 premium is slightly bigger. 20hp . now that has a bigger back axle.

farmertipp wrote: »
    6430 premium is slightly bigger. 20hp . now that has a bigger back axle.

I never noticed any difference in the rear axles of standard or premium.

Could be wrong though

• Advertisement
Advertisement