Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer unit cover - Abb 24way - 2row

Options
  • 23-11-2020 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi lads i am looking for a surface plastic cover (housing) for a two row, 24way Abb consumer unit. Dimension 370mm H x 250mm W.

Have tried Abb via Eurosales. Reckon its about 15 years old. Dont fancy replacing the existing board as I am retired & didnt wire this house myself.

If any of you comes across a cover in good nick, or know of a supplier with old stock, I would be glad to part with the dosh. Ps i can send a photo if requested. Gerry The Spark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

The Spark wrote: »
    Hi lads i am looking for a surface plastic cover (housing) for a two row, 24way Abb consumer unit. Dimension 370mm H x 250mm W.

Have tried Abb via Eurosales. Reckon its about 15 years old. Dont fancy replacing the existing board as I am retired & didnt wire this house myself.

If any of you comes across a cover in good nick, or know of a supplier with old stock, I would be glad to part with the dosh. Ps i can send a photo if requested. Gerry The Spark

I got a Hager cover for my own place dunno about ABB

If it was me i'd upgrade to an a new board with all RCBOs

Arc fault interruption and metallic board as well or whatever the new rules are going to be , I haven't checked them

Not that big of a job

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Maybe go directly to ABB. It is a long shot, but worth a try.
    ABB are based in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Spark

I got a Hager cover for my own place dunno about ABB

If it was me i'd upgrade to an a new board with all RCBOs

Arc fault interruption and metallic board as well or whatever the new rules are going to be , I haven't checked them

Not that big of a job
    You are perfectly right of course Westie, & Hager was the closest but easiest option is just a cover

2011 wrote: »

Thanks re Abb, if my memory serves me correctly, I think Eurosales sent them a photo at the time, but you are right, they might be worth a visit.

Thanks re Abb, if my memory serves me correctly, I think Eurosales sent them a photo at the time, but you are right, they might be worth a visit.

That smoke alarm ouch! Move it to the ceiling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They may well have but you are more likely to ensure that this is closed out.
    Others may not be as motivated as there is very little profit in it for them.

That smoke alarm ouch! Move it to the ceiling

Thanks Westie, however i bet not many sparks have thougth about putting a smoke alarm beside their dist board. As I said, I didnt wire this house, & was surprised by what I found, thats why its there.

Thanks Westie, however i bet not many sparks have thougth about putting a smoke alarm beside their dist board. As I said, I didnt wire this house, & was surprised by what I found, thats why its there.

You'd see it occasionally

TBH If there was a fire risk at the board I'd be dealing with that directly, not trying to be smart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I'd upgrade that 63amp Isolator&fuse. The link wire between the Isolator and fuse holder used to fail.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I'd upgrade that 63amp Isolator&fuse. The link wire between the Isolator and fuse holder used to fail.

Thank you very much for that excellent advice. I will certainly keep that ln mind to replace asap. I assume you found that link to fail under overload conditions, in which case I might just be ok for a another little while, as I am using gas ch.

Thanks again for taking an interest. I attach an example of a cable joint i found in the attic 3 years ago when I moved in here. It was feeding outside lights in our garden. To make matters worse, when I traced it outside, it went under the neighbours fence twice, This is just one example of the stuff that would make anyone ashamed to be a spark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

The link wire at the bottom wasn't designed with the greatest terminals, it was 6mm^2 wire too if I can remember. Overcurrent most definitely, Electric showers with addition to electric cookers.

Pretty sure RECI put a notice out on this a while back.

The link wire at the bottom wasn't designed with the greatest terminals, it was 6mm^2 wire too if I can remember. Overcurrent most definitely, Electric showers with addition to electric cookers.

Lots of problems around domestic main fuses and main switch fuses

The 63amp main fuse and the 13amp plug fuse are bad setups

ðŸ‘Tuco

ðŸ‘Tuco

thanks Tuco you are sound!!

Hi Moderator, went out to Abb this morning but due to the Pandemic the trade/ sales counter was closed. I agree it was a good bit of advice.

Hi Moderator, went out to Abb this morning but due to the Pandemic the trade/ sales counter was closed. I agree it was a good bit of advice.

Give them a buzz (01) 4057300
    Ask to speak to someone in their LV department.

Give them a buzz (01) 4057300
    Ask to speak to someone in their LV department.

Hi Mod please close this off as Abb are a waste of space, I rang them & emailed them twice without a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Hi Mod please close this off as Abb are a waste of space, I rang them & emailed them twice without a reply.

Perhaps a little unfair.
    You are looking for a cover for an obsolete €50 consumer unit that they sold 20+ years ago, in the run up to Christmas.
    Was always going to be a very long shot that the manufacturer was going to have that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement