Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday prices may be slightly misleading

Options
  • 22-11-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

2020 is going to an unusual year in many respects, including online shopping. A lot of people will necessarily resort to online shopping this year. Black Friday might seem like a good day to get gifts but have a look at this:

view?usp=sharing

I bought a new mattress from Emma not too long ago. I think they're Irish. Not sure.

Point is, black Friday rolled around and the price actually went up

view?usp=sharing

So now I'm wondering if shopping during the week of Black Friday is such a great idea after all? I know there are historic price trackers.I daresay I could easily be accused of being lazy here since I do actually have time to go hunting through them but of course I'm already checking 8 links per product. I know €20 isn't a huge difference in the price but it still feels like a minor victory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Shtanto wrote: »
    2020 is going to an unusual year in many respects, including online shopping. A lot of people will necessarily resort to online shopping this year. Black Friday might seem like a good day to get gifts but have a look at this:

view?usp=sharing

I bought a new mattress from Emma not too long ago. I think they're Irish. Not sure.

Point is, black Friday rolled around and the price actually went up

view?usp=sharing

So now I'm wondering if shopping during the week of Black Friday is such a great idea after all? I know there are historic price trackers.I daresay I could easily be accused of being lazy here since I do actually have time to go hunting through them but of course I'm already checking 8 links per product. I know €20 isn't a huge difference in the price but it still feels like a minor victory

Yeah it's one of those things. Everything I've bought had been something I've been tracking or keeping an eye on for a while.

Would recommend camel camel camel and keepa for this.

I'm actually looking at the emma now too. How are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

tusk wrote: »
    Yeah it's one of those things. Everything I've bought had been something I've been tracking or keeping an eye on for a while.

Would recommend camel camel camel and keepa for this.

I'm actually looking at the emma now too. How are you finding it?

I'll let you know :)

As long as you've got memory-foam on op of pocket springs, you'll be hard-pressed to complain. I'm a side sleeper, so after I did my research, I reckoned an emma mattress would be the one to go for. Covid delays on the new apartment mean I'll have to tell you after I find out myself. Turns out council housing needs Garda vetting but those checkpoints aren't going to staff themselves, so you can imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

As long as you've got memory-foam on op of pocket springs, you'll be hard-pressed to complain. I'm a side sleeper, so after I did my research, I reckoned an emma mattress would be the one to go for. Covid delays on the new apartment mean I'll have to tell you after I find out myself. Turns out council housing needs Garda vetting but those checkpoints aren't going to staff themselves, so you can imagine

Thing is it's not actually Black Friday yet, they may drop it again on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Last Monday, the majority of stuff on ASOS went up by 20% and their sale items went back to “normal” prices.

Just looking at what I recently bought

Napajuri hat, paid £30 last week, now £35
    North face gaiter, paid £19 last week, now £22
    North face gloves, paid £17, now £26
    NY cap, paid £14.50, now £19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

black Friday process are usually put up before black Friday to the normal price (no discount )and then reduced back on black Friday to create a discount even though it could have been on sale at that price or lower before that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Have seen Ted Baker lying in their website, says 10% extra on outlet clothing, discount already applied but the pricing is the exact same as the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Zardoz

As long as you've got memory-foam on op of pocket springs, you'll be hard-pressed to complain. I'm a side sleeper, so after I did my research, I reckoned an emma mattress would be the one to go for.

There are no pocket springs in the Emma Original mattress though, its the discontinued Hybrid mattress that has the pocket springs.
    The Emma Original is made of foam .

There will be bargains for Black Friday, but the vast majority of the offers wont be bargains, it will be retailers trying to dupe customers.
    Only buy something that you need and if its a genuine reduction.

There will be loads of other sales, Cyber Monday, Christmas sales, New Years Sales etc .
    There are bargains all year round if you know where to look .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For price tracking the Keepa extension really is the business. You can look back on the entire price history right there on the Amazon page and you can set your price to the lowest its ever been or any price target you want. Then when it hits your price target you get an email alert. If you're not in a hurry its a great way to get a product at its rock bottom price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    For price tracking the Keepa extension really is the business. You can look back on the entire price history right there on the Amazon page and you can set your price to the lowest its ever been or any price target you want. Then when it hits your price target you get an email alert. If you're not in a hurry its a great way to get a product at its rock bottom price.

Why not camelllcamelcamel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

All foam mattress are the biggest con ever. They only want to push them on us because no springs mean they're lighter. And also easier to vacuum seal into a small package. Nah. Take it from me. Get a quality mattress with springs. Peace out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I was always a sceptic of the Emma mattress (German company, made in Northern Ireland and UK), but got one recently and its way better than I expected (always have discounts - 45% off for black friday), but it does need a couple of days to "puff out" properly.

The biggest con of all is currys pcworld - look closely at the small print of the adverts. "higher price charged between 1st april & 7th april" and similar. Basically they rack the price up for a week and then fool people into thinking they are getting a discount. Utter scam how they do it

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Dathaí and Moira are discussing this right now on RTÉ1. They were mentioning that you can get badly stung on returns, so make sure whoever you're buying from has a free collection service if what you've got isn't right and needs to be sent back

Advertisement