Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car import

Options
  • 22-11-2020 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello All!

Together with my father we're really passionate about classic cars and seems that in US there are many good offers hence we started to consider to buy there and import here in Ireland.

I was wondering whether anyone has experience with importing classic car from outside the EU and share with me its experience in respect of the full process of importation, clearance and customs, vat and registration and any agency that might support.

I also read that it was suggested to ship the car before in UK due the lower tax rate but as Brexit is upon us I am afraid this option is out of the table.

Thanks for any information or advice you can share!

Lorenzo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,977 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hi Lorenzo and welcome to boards.ie :)

It's been covered a few times, do a search and you will find more info. But basically when importing a car over 30 years old from the USA: you will have to pay 21% VAT over the cost of the purchase of the car + the cost of shipping it over + the cost of insurance bringing it in. You will also have to pay 10% import duties and a flat fee of €200 for VRT.

Advertisement