Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I join two sides of a pump together

Options
  • 22-11-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I’ve very poor mains pressure and the garden tap is useless to feed the hose. I got a 1000L tank for free that will be on the flat roof of the garage and collect rain water but also have a mains feed just in case.
    I also got given a 2 bar pump that was being removed from a house.

I’m competent with plumbing basics but unsure if I can do the below?

-Put two tank fittings on and feed both sides of the pump from the storage tank.
    -On the outbound side of the tank, have both sides plumbed into a T, which then goes off in a single feed.

Considering it’ll be on one feed, both sides of the pump will always come on at the same time.

Will this cause any issues?
    I’m not overly concerned with it not being ideal etc. Just want to make sure the pump won’t have an issue straight away.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

you think your flat garage roof will hold a 1000ltr tank.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

DGOBS wrote: »
    you think your flat garage roof will hold a 1000ltr tank.....

You haven’t seen the roof. 10inch reinforced concrete. It’d hold 10 times that weight no issue whatsoever.

As mentioned, I’m pretty competent at this sort of stuff just not sure on the specifics of plumbing pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Just use 1 feed from the tank and tee it into both inlets of the pump. Will work alright, but what's the pump feeding? All the rainwater can really feed is a toilet, washing machine or outside tap.

wilser wrote: »
    Just use 1 feed from the tank and tee it into both inlets of the pump. Will work alright, but what's the pump feeding? All the rainwater can really feed is a toilet, washing machine or outside tap.

Thanks for the reply. Ye it’s just for the hose mainly, as I say, the pressure is extremely poor and given that I have everything to fix it, I may as well.
    I’m happy to take two feeds if I can. My main query is joining the two outlets of the pump in a T without any non return valves etc.
    Just want to make sure that will work which I’m taking from your post that it will?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

alexlyons wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Ye it’s just for the hose mainly, as I say, the pressure is extremely poor and given that I have everything to fix it, I may as well.
    I’m happy to take two feeds if I can. My main query is joining the two outlets of the pump in a T without any non return valves etc.
    Just want to make sure that will work which I’m taking from your post that it will?

Yeah will work fine. I'd be more worried about the pipes freezing this time of year

• Advertisement

wilser wrote: »
    Yeah will work fine. I'd be more worried about the pipes freezing this time of year

Thanks.
    Outside pipes will be hydra with insulation, and it’ll come inside after about a foot or so. Tank is my main concern for freezing but I’m hoping it’ll be ok.
    Unlikely the tank will burst and it’s only garden water so I’ll never be super stuck for it.
    Appreciate the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Hardly worth the effort for 30 PSI.Got to mindful not to contaminate the mains supply.

Advertisement