Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia PME workload

Options
  • 22-11-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

Just wondering what the workload is like for hibernia masters. Hope to start in April and was thinking of applying for a few part time jobs mostly in retail. So it’ll be shift work. Maybe 20-25 hours a week. Could be a bit less even

Would I be missing out on too Many online seminars to do this? Has anyone else’s worked part time and done the course. What are your experiences?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Jimsarmy98 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering what the workload is like for hibernia masters. Hope to start in April and was thinking of applying for a few part time jobs mostly in retail. So it’ll be shift work. Maybe 20-25 hours a week. Could be a bit less even

Would I be missing out on too Many online seminars to do this? Has anyone else’s worked part time and done the course. What are your experiences?

Might be worth contacting some of the current student cohort on Instagram, they're usually very friendly and helpful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

A friend did it - she it described it as "part time and flexible, but not if you are working full time".She was in a 9-5 job, she managed the first year with a lot of weekend and evening tutoirals/lectures, but the course workload was heavy.In addition she had to factor in taking leave to accommodate her teaching practice and Gaeltacht time.If I remember correctly, she gave up her job for the second year as it was too hard to manage the two.

As you are shift work it might be a bit easier to juggle for a while, but the reality is that a 4 year degree course is basically being crammed into 2 years, so I wouldn't expect the workload to be light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 buttercup2017

Hi there,

Hi there,

I have completed the course recently and worked a 35hr week for the first year alongside a busy home life. I did a small bit of subbing in year 2 whilst completing the final assignments, tp and thesis. All doable. I would say that you have to be dedicated and a good organiser to combine everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jimsarmy98

Hi there,

I have completed the course recently and worked a 35hr week for the first year alongside a busy home life. I did a small bit of subbing in year 2 whilst completing the final assignments, tp and thesis. All doable. I would say that you have to be dedicated and a good organiser to combine everything.

Cheers. Will bear this in mind. Were you working a 9-5 job though? Like would I be missing out on evening lectures if I worked say a Wednesday evening. Or are they recorded and can be watched whenever. Is attendance taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 buttercup2017

Cheers. Will bear this in mind. Were you working a 9-5 job though? Like would I be missing out on evening lectures if I worked say a Wednesday evening. Or are they recorded and can be watched whenever. Is attendance taken?

Yes was working during the day alright but you will be given a calendar with all the dates for webinars so that would allow you to plan your schedule. All are recorded and can be watched back. I would imagine attendance is taken by checking who logged in. Never heard of any issues with people missing an occasional one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 loulou95

I worked throughout the PME primary with Hibernia, just qualified this year. I worked in retail 3/4 days each week (not fixed hours, some days I worked 9-7, others 12-10) and found it doable. There were session releases each Monday and the calendar was usually updated in good time so you could plan ahead what content to cover on whatever days suited you. I chose not to work during school placement blocks but was lucky that the SP blocks fell around April and October for SP1 and 2 which meant I could work a couple of days during the holidays.

With regards to the online classes in the evenings, they were recorded for the most part and I never heard of anyone being reprimanded by college for missing a few. You can easily catch up when you get a chance. I often heard rumours that the attendance at the webinars could be taken into consideration if you got a low grade/failed a module but as long as you get the content covered, I don't think it matters too much when you complete it. They were strict enough on the attendance for face-to-face days for us though (Saturdays) but again, I missed a couple and notified the college and there were no issues. Format/delivery might be different now but that was my experience of it anyway!

Advertisement