Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital procedures

Options
  • 22-11-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

I am due shortly and am I wondering can anyone give first hand knowledge of the extra measures in hospital? I know about the visitor restrictions, fathers/ partners restrictions, but it’s hard to find
    Information on the rest of the finer details:-

1) a certain celebrity posted a picture recently of herself and her twins.... I may be wrong but it looked like a C section delivery from the picture and she’s wearing a mask. Do you have to wear a mask during a section??? I’m certainly not anti mask but in my last section I recall the Anaethestist saying it might feel like you can’t breathe, and I have never forgotten him saying that, the anxiety of it! I think a mask would be pretty scary in a section. (I am not booked for section but a VBAC so I know there’s always a chance of a repeat section).

2) Do you need to wear a mask all the time on the ward? I can’t see how you could sleep. What about private rooms if you get one? If you get a private room is the Dad allowed down? From my reading, when women are being moved to post natal wards Dads are being sent straight home?

3) admissions ward... my friend laboured all alone on this ward until the very end. I’ve read a few stories of fathers getting in last minute which suggests to me she’s not the only one, despite my consultant saying they’re trying to move people over to delivery as soon as they can. I remember I had to beg to be examined on my first and it turned out I was in labour. This time I’ll be alone and it’s much harder to argue for yourself. Are they examining women for established labour any quicker? How are you supposed to decide whether your OH goes home or hangs around in the car outside if you don’t know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Re the masks, I work in a hospital (not maternity), and a directive went out a couple of weeks ago that patients should wear masks by day if they’re not compromised from a respiratory point of view, even when around their bed space, unless they’re eating. It’s not being enforced that much it seems, but masks definitely essential when away from the bedside. I can’t see how anyone would expect you to wear a mask in a side room, or why, unless there’s staff in and out to you.
    If you’re in a private room, I don’t think it’ll make any difference to whether your partner is allowed in, they can’t really make one rule for private patients and one for public.

I saw that celeb photo too, and you know, I didn’t even notice the mask, just shows how immune I’ve become!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

All the hospitals have different restrictions depending on the layout, wards etc.

You can advise here what hospital you're attending and see if anyone has recent experience, but really the best person to ask is your midwife.

I'm being induced next week, and recently did the hospital's online antenatal class, and their restrictions were explained in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

I had an elective section on the 9th in the rotunda. Went in with a mask on and kept it one for approx the first 30mins or so by my bedside but midwife said I could take it off then. Only other time I wore it was going down to theatre, they say just when you’re walking through the hospital but not by bedside, so my partner wore his in when he was visiting but took it off once he was at my bed area. I didn’t wear one during my section but I can’t remember when I took it off tbh cos I def wore it down to the theatre, partner didn’t wear one either. I was in a public ward and all the other girls were the same, midwives had them in during all interactions though, hope this helps, best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I had an elective section in the Coombe in September, I wore a mask from the entrance until I got to my bed, I was brought there for an hour or so before surgery. When I was called up to theatre I had my mask back on and wore it throughout surgery. my husband was allowed in when I was called up to theatre and he wore a mask the entire time throughout surgery, recovery room and back on the ward. My surgery was at 12pm so by the time we got out of recovery it was visiting time so we were lucky that he could stay with us for a long time all things considered. All visitors had to wear masks on the ward and this was enforced, and all staff wore them too but the mothers weren't wearing them on the ward and weren't asked to either.

Throughout any section, emergency or elective, the anaesthetist is standing right beside your head so if you were experiencing breathing difficulties they would respond appropriately and I honestly dont think a mask could affect the ability to breathe in such a serious way, you can ask them about this at your next appt.

Sorry if I failed to address other questions you raised there, if it is the Coombe you're attending feel free to PM me if you want any more info. It's an awful time for such uncertainty but you will be well looked after and you will have your lovely baby home before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I had an elective section in the Coombe in September

Do you mind me asking, did you have to have a covid test before your elective section? I'm having one in feb and just wondering will I have to get a test before I go in for it. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

I had an elective section in the Coombe in September, I wore a mask from the entrance until I got to my bed, I was brought there for an hour or so before surgery. When I was called up to theatre I had my mask back on and wore it throughout surgery. my husband was allowed in when I was called up to theatre and he wore a mask the entire time throughout surgery, recovery room and back on the ward. My surgery was at 12pm so by the time we got out of recovery it was visiting time so we were lucky that he could stay with us for a long time all things considered. All visitors had to wear masks on the ward and this was enforced, and all staff wore them too but the mothers weren't wearing them on the ward and weren't asked to either.

Throughout any section, emergency or elective, the anaesthetist is standing right beside your head so if you were experiencing breathing difficulties they would respond appropriately and I honestly dont think a mask could affect the ability to breathe in such a serious way, you can ask them about this at your next appt.

Sorry if I failed to address other questions you raised there, if it is the Coombe you're attending feel free to PM me if you want any more info. It's an awful time for such uncertainty but you will be well looked after and you will have your lovely baby home before you know it.

I am booked for a section in the coombe, just wondering if you had to have a covid test before? And also how many nights you were kept in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Thanks for the replies everyone. Im in the NMH but I assume some details/ Procedures are similar

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Had baby in nmh end of september , was in long stay before unit 3 and then delivery ward. For long stay and unit 3 had no mask on at bedside. Wore mask for walking around hospital.
    No mask in delivery ward or when transferred to post natal. Didn't have a section.
    In post natal same as before, no mask at bedside or when going to bathroom or shower. Partner wore mask when visiting and in delivery room. Was his choice to wear it in delivery room I think. Partner can visit on post natal ward for two hours at day buy but can stay longer in practice.
    No partner in unit 3 so labour alone there and was transferred early enough to allow him lots of time to get in. Was induced so he was on standby.
    Any other questions for nmh fire away! Although it's starting to become hazy 7 weeks on....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

andreac wrote:
    Do you mind me asking, did you have to have a covid test before your elective section? I'm having one in feb and just wondering will I have to get a test before I go in for it. Thanks

Becks0603 wrote:
    I am booked for a section in the coombe, just wondering if you had to have a covid test before? And also how many nights you were kept in?

I was told at several of my routine appointments that I would be contacted about a Covid test ahead of the C section. I was originally booked in for a Thursday, but on the Monday the pre-operative team phoned me to ask if I could come in on the Tuesday instead as they were a bit quieter - I jumped at the chance! Anyway, I asked her when would I have the Covid test and she said I wouldn't have one and would jut answer the screening questions at the entrance. Seems crazy to me and the Dr who performed the surgery was the same one who told me at two different appointments that I would be tested, so I think its unfair that their staff have conflicting info!

Becks0603 I was kept in for 3 nights, that would usually be the minimum after a C section. My first C section I was kept in 4 nights as my daughter had lost over 10% of her birth weight and she was tiny to begin with. On this baby they were considering a 4th night as my pain wasnt well controlled but in the end let me out after the 3 nights.

I would say try your best to get up out of bed walking the corridors a few times per day, it is hard going but it will stand to you. Also silky pyjamas make it much easier to move about it the bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I was told at several of my routine appointments that I would be contacted about a Covid test ahead of the C section. I was originally booked in for a Thursday, but on the Monday the pre-operative team phoned me to ask if I could come in on the Tuesday instead as they were a bit quieter - I jumped at the chance! Anyway, I asked her when would I have the Covid test and she said I wouldn't have one and would jut answer the screening questions at the entrance. Seems crazy to me and the Dr who performed the surgery was the same one who told me at two different appointments that I would be tested, so I think its unfair that their staff have conflicting info!

Just on this. The hse guidelines changed in the last fortnight or so to advise that any patient being admitted to hospital should now be Covid tested, Not just patients with symptoms, as was previously the case. This is what we’ve been told at work anyhow. So it’s quite likely that those who asked will have a different experience, just to let them know!

• Advertisement

My daughter has 2nd baby just 3 days ago in Limerick.
    No Covid tests........ but that could be because both her and her husband had Covid in September .
    Masks going to delivery room (and for her partner all the time.)
    I’m not sure about in her room, shared with one other mum. I’ll check with her when I go to visit her at home later today.
    She got excellent care, the birth couldn’t have gone better

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NewMom19

Hey so I did the antenatal refresher course on Friday for NMH, I am due early January. The midwife said masks will be worn for booking in but when labouring the masks are not required. She certainly gave me the impression that fathers/birth partners will need to be wearing a mask at all times. No-one asked about what the set up would be on postnatal wards, I kind of assumed for the bigger wards the mothers would be wearing a mask but if you are within your own bed space it makes sense you wouldn't need to be wearing one, but then when they come to do any post natal checks I guess you just put the mask on then?

Regarding checking for labour, the impression I got is that getting to active labour stage will be much quicker second time around so hopefully you won't have the same waiting to be checked, same happened to me on my first, my husband couldn't find a midwife to come check me a second time. From what I gather, they generally just check every 2-3hrs, but i'm hoping that is more likely for first timers as generally it takes longer to be in active labour. If when you go to admissions, and they determine you aren't in active labour, they may suggest going home, I'm thinking i'd be more likely to do a lap around Merrion Square than actually go home!! After writing all this i'm thinking i need to send the midwife an email to clarify the above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

Becks0603 I was kept in for 3 nights, that would usually be the minimum after a C section. My first C section I was kept in 4 nights as my daughter had lost over 10% of her birth weight and she was tiny to begin with. On this baby they were considering a 4th night as my pain wasnt well controlled but in the end let me out after the 3 nights.

I would say try your best to get up out of bed walking the corridors a few times per day, it is hard going but it will stand to you. Also silky pyjamas make it much easier to move about it the bed!

Thanks for all of the information, just trying to manage my expectations of what will happen, first baby and first section as baby is breech. Would you recommend anything else for the hospital specific to a section? Should I being pyjamas that go up higher or would they irritate the stitches? I hope you're doing well and enjoying the newborn bubble x

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I had an elective section in the Coombe just over two weeks ago. Like others have said I wore a mask from admissions until I was on the ward in a bed and the midwife said I could remove it. I then wore it down to theatre and in theatre. My husband was gowned up and had to wear a mask the whole time he was with me in theatre and the recovery room. I didn’t wear a mask for the duration of my stay.

I was home after 48hrs as I live in the Early release home catchment. It was lovely to get into my own bed.

Visiting is very strict. 2pm to 4:30pm. Visitors have to give their name when coming in and then when leaving. My husband didn’t wear a mask at my bedside but did if a midwive came in to me. Car park gets very busy from around 1:30pm and can take 30-40 mins to get in and parked.

I wore PJ bottoms once I had catheter removed. Make sure they go up to belly button for comfort. Also button or nursing tips if B’feading.

Again as someone else mentioned try get up and move around as soon as possible. Take it very slow and try not hunch over. I found when I was hunching it was like I was protecting myself but actually found it easier to move about if I walked up straight but slowly.

Don’t be afraid to use the call bell if you need to pick baby up from cot or put baby down as that can be hard after a section.

All the midwives I dealt with in the Coombe during my stay were really nice and very helpful. Run off their feet and understaffed on the wards but still really nice

Bring snacks for evening time it’s along time between tea and breakfast.

I didn’t have a covid test either prior to section.

Hope that’s helpful for anyone in the Coombe.

Oh and also no nail polish if having a section. I totally forgot about that one. My polish was very light coloured but they gave me remover to take it off.

Thanks Elly. Good to know. Was your partner allowed in for those 2 1/2 hours for visiting? Im due a section in there in Feb so nice to know all the procedures that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

andreac wrote: »
    Thanks Elly. Good to know. Was your partner allowed in for those 2 1/2 hours for visiting? Im due a section in there in Feb so nice to know all the procedures that happen.

Yeah my husband was allowed in for the 2.5hrs. I went in at 12pm and was up on the ward by 12:30. I only went down for section at 2:30 so by time he parked the car it was 2:40 when he got up to me. I was waiting in the corridor to go through all the pre op questions. If I was brought down for my section at 5pm he would have been allowed visit me from 2pm even though I was waiting to be brought down. Hope that makes sense.

Hopefully things maybe a little better by Feb and restrictions may have eased by then.

elly123 wrote: »
    Yeah my husband was allowed in for the 2.5hrs. I went in at 12pm and was up on the ward by 12:30. I only went down for section at 2:30 so by time he parked the car it was 2:40 when he got up to me. I was waiting in the corridor to go through all the pre op questions. If I was brought down for my section at 5pm he would have been allowed visit me from 2pm even though I was waiting to be brought down. Hope that makes sense.

Hopefully things maybe a little better by Feb and restrictions may have eased by then.

Yes it does. Thanks so much. I might send you a pm if you don't mind as i have a little query about the section.

Advertisement