Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Valhalla Murders

Options
  • 22-11-2020 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭

There was a suggestion on the BBC 4 thread that a separate thread shoudl be opened to discuss this series, just started last night on BBC4.

I can't see any sign of anyone doing that, so I thought I'd giv it a go.

Here's a link (there are spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the first two episodes)
    https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2020/11/21/review-the-valhalla-murders-s1-e2-8/

I enjoyed it, though I can see why one might complain that it's a bit formulaic.
    The scenery is amazing, and I find myself getting so nostalgic for snow - will we ever have a snowy winter again?

What did other people think of it? And do we expect any surprises?

(Don't forget spoilers if anyone has always seen it elsewhere!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

Like odyssey I usually record these and watch later but I just want to point out that episodes are repeated on Tuesdays at midnight for anyone who missed it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Early impression is that this is decent. Only thing is and I can't put my finger on it yet but this likely storyline reminds me of something similar from before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

ollaetta wrote: »
    Early impression is that this is decent. Only thing is and I can't put my finger on it yet but this likely storyline reminds me of something similar from before.
    The first series of Hinterland
    ?
    It's
    the children's home theme
    that makes me think of that.

Or maybe
    The Virtues with Stephen Graham
    ? Which I absolutely loved and if it is a similar storyline I don't think it could possibly be a patch on that.

So yeah, I'm hoping it's not the same but I suspect perhaps it will be a variation of one or other of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

volchitsa wrote: »
    The first series of Hinterland
    ?
    It's
    the children's home theme
    that makes me think of that.

Or maybe
    The Virtues with Stephen Graham
    ? Which I absolutely loved and if it is a similar storyline I don't think it could possibly be a patch on that.

So yeah, I'm hoping it's not the same but I suspect perhaps it will be a variation of one or other of those.

Yeah, it's the
    children's home
    theme that's definitely reminiscent of something else.

Overall I'm liking it though. Can't wait for
    the bully boss to get her comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

I can't understand the reliance Iceland has on Norway, looking at maps Ireland seems about as close yet, we've virtually no ties to Iceland. All I can think is traditional linkages, suppose I'm learning something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I had gone off Nordic/Scandi Noir, but gave this a go. It is a bit standard for the genre, with requisite interesting backstories, but it is decent enough.

Advertisement