Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pellet stove 12 months on

Options
  • 22-11-2020 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We installed an Eva Kalor pellet stove 12 months ago. It 9kw in a double room kitchen and living room. It’s set to come on for an hour in the morning and 6 hours in the evening. The room temperature is set at 23 degrees. 1 c 10kg bag of good quality pellets will last a little over 2 days. Last winter we were purchasing 3 x 10kg bags for 10€. During the summer we noticed and offer from a different shop giving 1 bag free with every 5 purchased so ordered a pallet. The quality of the pellets make a huge difference as we see this year the stove is using less and keeping room much warmer. There are 2 doors into the room and both are left open most of the time. The cost of running stove is roughly 1.50€ per day. It does need to be cleaned every second or 3rd day which takes about 5 minutes, plus filling one bag of pellets into hopper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I purchased one a few months ago to replace a solid fuel stove! It's so clean as you have no coal dust or down draughts trying to light it! No firefighters, filling coal in the rain. I can store 8 bags of pellets in a press!

Do you get your pellets in Dairygold OP?

533740.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

There a good idea and seem to work well I just can't take to the look of them

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

Has anybody any information on insert pellet stoves. I have seen them in online brochures but dimensions and fitting requirements are not very clear. They all seem to be the wall mounted cassette type and I would like to know if they could be fitted in an ordinary open fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

jc bamford wrote: »
    Has anybody any information on insert pellet stoves. I have seen them in online brochures but dimensions and fitting requirements are not very clear. They all seem to be the wall mounted cassette type and I would like to know if they could be fitted in an ordinary open fireplace.

They are extremely large due to the size of the back box which includes the hopper and auger. A standard fireplace would have to be made a lot bigger to accommodate,with the biggest issue I’ve seen being the depth of the pellet Inset vs the depth of most Irish chimney breasts.

Thanks for reply.
    I was thinking of one of these, https://smartheat.ie/insert-pellet-stoves/
    They seem to have a R500. height 495 mm, width 461 mm, dept 481.5 Looks like it might fit. I was just hoping to get some background before I spoke to dealer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I had the problem of having a narrow chimney breast so couldn't inset the stove. The regular pellet stove would have been too deep so ended up going with the Kalor Quadra 8kW Slimline stove, installed last April. Would I recommend it? No. It isn't easy to operate and the Kalor approved installer gave a limited amount of instruction on using the stove. He him put on a cowl but it blew off and the performance has definitely been negatively affected. The stove actually went out last from the wind.

I had the problem of having a narrow chimney breast so couldn't inset the stove. The regular pellet stove would have been too deep so ended up going with the Kalor Quadra 8kW Slimline stove, installed last April. Would I recommend it? No. It isn't easy to operate and the Kalor approved installer gave a limited amount of instruction on using the stove. He him put on a cowl but it blew off and the performance has definitely been negatively affected. The stove actually went out last from the wind.

Thanks for that information. Did they put a liner all the way up the chimney or just connect in at the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Thanks for reply.
    I was thinking of one of these, https://smartheat.ie/insert-pellet-stoves/
    They seem to have a R500. height 495 mm, width 461 mm, dept 481.5 Looks like it might fit. I was just hoping to get some background before I spoke to dealer

Did you get a price as I was quoted about 5K for one all in..

Thanks for that information. Did they put a liner all the way up the chimney or just connect in at the bottom?

Flue liner to chimney cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Can you explain some things to me - can you just replace solid fuel stove with one of these, flue up same chimney? What about back boiler that presently heats radiators and water, can you use back boiler with these? Does it need a strengthened base like ceramic stoves? Does it need electricity to feed pellets through ie what happens in power cut? You feed pellets into back of stove right?
    I am often looking around to see what is best to eventually replace solid fuel stove which is dusty.

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    Did you get a price as I was quoted about 5K for one all in..

No I did not get any prices yet

Ciggfree wrote: »
    We installed an Eva Kalor pellet stove 12 months ago.

How easy is your Kalor to use? I have the manual sitting beside the couch for reference when the almost daily alert beep goes off or to see why it automatically switched itself off today.

Advertisement