Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving new job soon after starting

Options
  • 22-11-2020 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Started a new job a week ago and the week has been miserable. I moved from flexible hours and around 60% work from home job to permanent on site and being unable to leave a minute early. I've been let go from my previous job due to company "reorganization" and now feels like I don't want to do any other kind of job because of the benefits that I had. I'd genuinely prefer to be on welfare than do this job. In my previous job I had lots of energy and it was more like a side thing as I had tasks that I needed to complete and as long as they were completed, all was good.

My question is should I leave this new job and hope to find something similar or just suffer through it and give it more than a week to maybe adjust? I don't want to feel ungrateful and I know that by leaving I am going alienate the employer forever as I went through multiple interview stages only to leave a few days after starting. I have to commute now and feel like a wreck coming home from work even though my job is in software and finding it incredibly difficult to adjust to waking up early instead of being able to choose my own hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

How much savings do you have?

Do you have a partner, mortgage, kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I have to commute now and feel like a wreck coming home from work even though my job is in software and finding it incredibly difficult to adjust to waking up early instead of being able to choose my own hours.

I think we're all going to be in a somewhat similar position in the near (hopeful) future.

First question is what made you take the job? It must have sounded okay if you went all the way thru' the interview process? If it's only the change of scene, commute etc., and the commute isn't crazy I'd say stick it out to see if you can adjust.

Your old job seemed cool, but as someone also "in software" most companies I've been in haven't been good with WFH. It's only now that they've had to adjust. My last job in a startup was awesome - until they ran out of money. My current job is a horror, I wish I could be in my old job but sh1t happens and you have to keep going.

So if you can look beyond the commute and flexibility and it's ok - I'd try and stick it out. If you feel the job is not what you were sold, and it could be career limiting/damaging - subject to your personal finances etc. - I'd consider getting out quick and wipe it off the CV. It's a difficult call.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t see not being allowed to leave a job early as a negative or even inflexible. If you sign up to work at xx location for xx company , from 09.00-18.00 Monday to Friday.. it’s not unreasonable of your employer to ask you to complete the agreed shift..

That said, most jobs I had, if you had a shift 09.00-18.00 and at 17.30/17.40 you had everything boxed off, and no customer or internal departments relying on you... you could go.

An old boss always said .. “ yep, as long as you double check your work and when you walk... everything is done, and done 100% , the day it’s not, is the day that this arrangement gets reviewed..

Only problem is when people take the piss out of this flexibility, rush to finish their work to get to some occasion and make a mistake... everybody needs to be playing ball for it to work..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Started a new job a week ago and the week has been miserable. I moved from flexible hours and around 60% work from home job to permanent on site and being unable to leave a minute early. I've been let go from my previous job due to company "reorganization" and now feels like I don't want to do any other kind of job because of the benefits that I had. I'd genuinely prefer to be on welfare than do this job. In my previous job I had lots of energy and it was more like a side thing as I had tasks that I needed to complete and as long as they were completed, all was good.
    Being drained & being back in the office full time can really make the week drag. Can't see anything happening this side of xmas, so I'd say stay, but be ready to hop ship come January if you're still feeling the job when you're rested.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭thefa

Is it common to find roles with the flexibility you described in your prior role? If not, you are really limiting your opportunities and may end up having to be patient. Ive been told and found from personal experience that it’s easier to get a professional job while already in a job so it may be worth sticking this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You’re probably in new culture work shock but at least your getting paid! I’d say give it a few weeks as you will have holidays and possibly party/bonus for Christmas and that will guve you something to look forward to. Also, if you voluntarily leave a job you will have problems signing on with social welfare who may well refuse your claim. Hold tight and send out Cv’s - leave this job off the CV as if you get another ine soon you can just pretend it never happened (sort of!) and say you took a break from working after the restructuring. The payroll/accounts dept will rumble you but may choose to say nothing. At least you’ll be earning as you look - we’re now at the end of Q4 soends and heading into January - it could easily be Feb for March before companies start recruiting again - assuming we are not all locked down again after our merry christmasses.

Advertisement