Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Shotgun for Clays

  • 21-11-2020 10:16pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭ Munsterlad102


    Hello, what’s the best shotgun type for clays? Are there any specific rules, I’ve seen a lot of o/u around and the odd semi auto. I’ve always wanted a pump action, nothing more iconic than racking one. Are you allowed a pump for clays or just o/u?


Comments

  • Posts: 0 ✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Hello, what’s the best shotgun type for clays? Are there any specific rules, I’ve seen a lot of o/u around and the odd semi auto. I’ve always wanted a pump action, nothing more iconic than racking one. Are you allowed a pump for clays or just o/u?

    As my father would say, if you need more than two shots you are no good.

    A serious clay shooter would use o/u. If you miss the first shot you are unlikely to hit it the second time.

    That being said, I don't know if there are any rules against using semi or pump. I think lads that shoot vermin like crows get the full use out of them because they can just unload into a flock.


  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ ace86


    Hello, what’s the best shotgun type for clays? Are there any specific rules, I’ve seen a lot of o/u around and the odd semi auto. I’ve always wanted a pump action, nothing more iconic than racking one. Are you allowed a pump for clays or just o/u?

    What discipline are you going shooting in clays? DTL,Sporting,ABT, Olympic trap? If your doing most disciplines an O/U is the most preferred choice by most people a semi auto or pump might be ok for sporting not for other disciplines really there kind of frowned upon and think there not allowed but I can be corrected on that plus trying to get a 2nd shot of with a pump is difficult I think with most disciplines. If your buying a trap gun or a gun for sporting their weights are different too to reduce recoil muzzle flip and for ease of swing for the targets being shot. Hope this helps.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    Had a mossberg pump for years and loved it. Used it for decoying pigeons, rough shooting, and club clays. Nothing stopping you using one, if some guy on the clay layout doesn't like it, let him build a bridge and get over it. If you want one, buy one.


  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭ no_4


    If you are serious about any clay discipline then an adjustable trap O/u gun fixed or m/c is your best option , with 30-32’’ barrels for best scores
    The lads I shoot clays with would not shoot with you for many rounds with a pump because the empty shells flying around the stand and the noise of the action would put them off their routines

    From what you wrote it appears that you like the idea of racking the pump more than shooting clays


  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭ Munsterlad102


    ace86 wrote: »
    What discipline are you going shooting in clays? DTL,Sporting,ABT, Olympic trap? If your doing most disciplines an O/U is the most preferred choice by most people a semi auto or pump might be ok for sporting not for other disciplines really there kind of frowned upon and think there not allowed but I can be corrected on that plus trying to get a 2nd shot of with a pump is difficult I think with most disciplines. If your buying a trap gun or a gun for sporting their weights are different too to reduce recoil muzzle flip and for ease of swing for the targets being shot. Hope this helps.

    Thats a good question, I didn't think that far ahead:D. Is there much difference between them?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭ Munsterlad102


    no_4 wrote: »
    From what you wrote it appears that you like the idea of racking the pump more than shooting clays

    No, I was just inquiring if a pump shotgun would be allowed for clays. Getting one would have been an added bonus really.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    No, I was just inquiring if a pump shotgun would be allowed for clays. Getting one would have been an added bonus really.

    By the Gardai ? Yes, so long as its plugged to only allow 2 shells in the tube. I think they are great guns, cheap, tough, not fussy about what you shoot through them etc. There is a reason the Americans use them so much.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,601 ✭✭✭✭ Witcher


    no_4 wrote: »
    If you are serious about any clay discipline then an adjustable trap O/u gun fixed or m/c is your best option , with 30-32’’ barrels for best scores
    The lads I shoot clays with would not shoot with you for many rounds with a pump because the empty shells flying around the stand and the noise of the action would put them off their routines

    From what you wrote it appears that you like the idea of racking the pump more than shooting clays

    Lol


  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭ Munsterlad102


    tudderone wrote: »
    By the Gardai ? Yes, so long as its plugged to only allow 2 shells in the tube. I think they are great guns, cheap, tough, not fussy about what you shoot through them etc. There is a reason the Americans use them so much.

    Nice, the extra shot also appealed to me. I guess I'll just have to enquire about what each range allows. Also, is it just where I'm looking or are o/u fairly expensive like E800?


  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ ace86


    Thats a good question, I didn't think that far ahead:D. Is there much difference between them?

    What question is that sorry?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭ no_4


    There’s loads of used o/u for the 400 mark and good to get a start in the sport. If your going to be doing sporting clays it a bit of hunting or vermin control then a s/h sported might be a good start.
    A new trap gun would be multiples of the 400
    Nice, the extra shot also appealed to me. I guess I'll just have to enquire about what each range allows. Also, is it just where I'm looking or are o/u fairly expensive like E800?


  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭ Munsterlad102


    ace86 wrote: »
    What question is that sorry?

    What dicipline I was interested in. I should have been more specific, my bad.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    Sporting. You get a bit of everything, crossers, birds coming in, birds going away, rabbits, springing teal, mixtures of all the above, its never the same twice. Trap, you shoot birds going away and thats it. I did shoot dtl or trap years ago, wouldn't be bothered with it now to be honest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ Gorgeousgeorge


    Started off with a mossberg 500 myself still have it. Great all round gun. Lads don't like them on the clay grounds alright but sure go with whatever makes you happy


  • Registered Users Posts: 43 bmmb88


    I've used a semi for years on clays with no bother. Also used a Beretta o/u but preferred the semi. One lad on our range uses a pump and wins most weekends. Try as many shotguns as you can and go with the one you find most comfortable.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭ Feisar


    bmmb88 wrote: »
    I've used a semi for years on clays with no bother. Also used a Beretta o/u but preferred the semi. One lad on our range uses a pump and wins most weekends. Try as many shotguns as you can and go with the one you find most comfortable.

    Different strokes for different folks. I never threw up a semi/pump that didn't handle like a drain pipe.

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    Feisar wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks. I never threw up a semi/pump that didn't handle like a drain pipe.

    I thought the same till the cousin bought a Beretta semi. I remember knocking the tar out of a load of crows over decoys one day with it, handled fine, very reliable.


  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ ace86


    What dicipline I was interested in. I should have been more specific, my bad.

    No hassle lad ur grand I was just giving u food for thought is all and trying to see what u were into.


  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ ace86


    tudderone wrote: »
    I thought the same till the cousin bought a Beretta semi. I remember knocking the tar out of a load of crows over decoys one day with it, handled fine, very reliable.

    Semi’s ideal for vermin control and game shooting what make of beretta did u fire?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ J.R.


    Nice, the extra shot also appealed to me.

    The extra shot is of no use to you when shooting clays - you are only allowed have two cartridges in the gun.

    I'd had pumps, semi-auto's and O/U......for a gun specifically for clays I'd advise an O/U.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement