Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patching hole in concrete slab

Options
  • 21-11-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Really quick one but can I just pour concrete straight in here once I clear out the debris and even out the sides? I'm particularly concerned about the pipe connectors getting blocked. If it was just the plastic piping I'd pour away, but rather get the all clear first!

https://imgur.com/a/v01WLnb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi all,

Really quick one but can I just pour concrete straight in here once I clear out the debris and even out the sides? I'm particularly concerned about the pipe connectors getting blocked. If it was just the plastic piping I'd pour away, but rather get the all clear first!

Put some insulation on the pipe/connection, tape it up, drop in some plastic over it and pour in fresh concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi all,

I'd advise leaving it a week to do so though you want to make sure it remains dry through normal use. If it's still dry after a week then go ahead as above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭adocholiday

listermint wrote: »
    I'd advise leaving it a week to do so though you want to make sure it remains dry through normal use. If it's still dry after a week then go ahead as above

Thanks lads yeah it's been a couple of weeks now since it was fixed so no issue there. Thanks for the heads up will go ahead as recommended.

Just a quick one, is there any recommended plastic for wrapping the brass in or can I use any sort of stuff because it's just a barrier? Same goes for the tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks lads yeah it's been a couple of weeks now since it was fixed so no issue there. Thanks for the heads up will go ahead as recommended.

Just a quick one, is there any recommended plastic for wrapping the brass in or can I use any sort of stuff because it's just a barrier? Same goes for the tape.

well the brass will be inside the insulation so won't be touching anything else.

If the pipes are 1/2 inch, you could use some 3/4 inch insulation which would also cover the fittings. The plastic is just to stop concrete getting in around any gaps in the insulation, you could really use anything for such a small job, even a plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Spark

well the brass will be inside the insulation so won't be touching anything else.

If the pipes are 1/2 inch, you could use some 3/4 inch insulation which would also cover the fittings. The plastic is just to stop concrete getting in around any gaps in the insulation, you could really use anything for such a small job, even a plastic bag.

Did a similar job some time ago & on plumbers advice, I wrapped the insulated pipes in dpc (damp proof course plastic) which is available in different widths. I used cable ties to hold in place around the pipes. Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks all yeah got sorted had some foam insulation knocking around and an animal feed bag was good and strong for a wrap. All done thanks for the advice!

Advertisement