Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Antiquing Chemicals

Options
  • 21-11-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi,
    does anyone know where (or if) I can get any metal antiquing chemicals in Ireland? I am a jewellery maker. I've tried some home-made ones and they're not very consistent.

I am particularly looking for brass and copper antiquing solutions for black, brown and verdigris colours. All the suppliers I can find are in the UK and won't ship to Ireland because they are corrosive chemicals and have to be shipped as hazardous freight. Any leads would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Rolllo wrote: »
    Hi,
    does anyone know where (or if) I can get any metal antiquing chemicals in Ireland? I am a jewellery maker. I've tried some home-made ones and they're not very consistent.

I am particularly looking for brass and copper antiquing solutions for black, brown and verdigris colours. All the suppliers I can find are in the UK and won't ship to Ireland because they are corrosive chemicals and have to be shipped as hazardous freight. Any leads would be appreciated.

Once I'm back to work on Monday Ill get the name of an English supplier that ships to Ireland for you.

We do mild steel stairs and balustrades with the antiquing fluids, and then lacquer them. I'm not too sure there is an Irish company doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

iirc I've done copper (big old sheets hammered out from old water cylinders that I have behind our range in the kitchen) with the Hydrochloric Acid you get for cleaning cement off. For some reason online its often called Muriatic Acid but you can get 5l of it in a Builders merchants for about €35. There is one company that sells a lot of chemical cleaners in Builders merchants that do smaller quantities and I have an idea I paid about €15 for a liter.

A bit of googling and its HG Limex that is mostly Hydrochoric acid and loads of hardware stores have it. https://www.lenehans.ie/hg-limex-cement-mortar-efflorescence-remover.html and the pdf which shows whats in it is https://www.hgcanada.com/files/products/cement-grout-efflorescence-remover-limex-432629.pdf. Santrax is an Irish company that do a similar product.

Or have you already tried those?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Once I'm back to work on Monday Ill get the name of an English supplier that ships to Ireland for you.

We do mild steel stairs and balustrades with the antiquing fluids, and then lacquer them. I'm not too sure there is an Irish company doing them.

That would be great, thanks for your help.

iirc I've done copper (big old sheets hammered out from old water cylinders that I have behind our range in the kitchen) with the Hydrochloric Acid you get for cleaning cement off. For some reason online its often called Muriatic Acid but you can get 5l of it in a Builders merchants for about €35. There is one company that sells a lot of chemical cleaners in Builders merchants that do smaller quantities and I have an idea I paid about €15 for a liter.

A bit of googling and its HG Limex that is mostly Hydrochoric acid and loads of hardware stores have it. https://www.lenehans.ie/hg-limex-cement-mortar-efflorescence-remover.html and the pdf which shows whats in it is https://www.hgcanada.com/files/products/cement-grout-efflorescence-remover-limex-432629.pdf. Santrax is an Irish company that do a similar product.

Or have you already tried those?
    I think I've tried muriatic acid before but I might give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

• Advertisement

monkeynuz wrote: »

Ya, that's the crowd we get it from.

monkeynuz wrote: »

Ya, that's the crowd we get it from.

That's great, I've placed an order with them now. Thanks.

Advertisement