Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked Broken Toilet Bowl Repair

Options
  • 21-11-2020 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. So I managed to take a nice chink out of our toilet by dropping something onto it. First time for everything I guess.

A new toilet is coming in at around €150 - €200 depending on if I get fitting done by someone else. Another option is to find something cheap and second hand but it would be easier to get the exact model. Any places like car scrap yards but for plumbing related items?

For the moment I am going to try and do a repair job. One of the better tutorials I came across is below but is not for a toilet repair so maybe some kind of water proof or resistant 2 part epoxy would be suited.

I also would need to buy a ceramic finish or paint to apply after the crack is repaired so does anyone have any recommendations?

20201121-104957.jpg
    20201121-105005.jpg
    20201121-105024.jpg
    20201121-105027.jpg
    20201121-105031.jpg
    20201121-105040.jpg

Would like to keep the cost down so what epoxy would be good for this job and most importantly am I wasting my time fixing this?

https://www.lenehans.ie/evo-stik-epoxy-rapid-metal-adhesive-30ml.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If a visitor to your house has an accident with that unit and sues you for damages, your house insurance would in all probability take the view that you were grossly negligent in taking on a DIY repair. The simple fact that it collapsed would prove their point that you shouldn't have attempted a repair i.e. you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The claim would then be your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Oh Jaysus. remind me to never let you into my house..

OP; Epoxy will work perfectly. 5 minute/rapid stuff works great.
    Superglue doesnt harden on ceramics, and gorilla glue or similar isnt right.

A new pan should set you back about 40 quid. Not to difficult to replace, easier if its not close coupled.

Advertisement