Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Honor MagicBook 14 2020

• 21-11-2020 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭ buyer95

Hi everyone. I am in the market for a laptop at the moment. Initially I had put ths budget at 500e, and have been keeping an eye on the huawei matebook d14, and honor magicbook 14 waiting for a price drop. The matebook d14 is now 480 pounds on amazon and I almost pulled the trigger until I noticed that Honor are selling their 2020 version of the magicbook 14 at the discounted price of 599 pounds. Slightly over budget, but it is a long term investment and i would be willing go for it. My question is, do you think the Ryzen 4500 is worth the extra money? I am leaning towards yes, as it also comes with double the hdd space

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,864 ✭✭✭✭ glasso

it depends on your use cases

if you maybe want to so some video editing, play some games (within reason as it's still integrated graphics) then yes

but if in all honesty all you will be doing is browsing, netlflix streaming some ms office type stuff then you would be hard-pushed to notice any difference as the 3500u is a decent enough cpu

www.buymeacoffee.com/glassopy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭ buyer95

glasso wrote: »
    it depends on your use cases

if you maybe want to so some video editing, play some games (within reason as it's still integrated graphics) then yes

but if in all honesty all you will be doing is browsing, netlflix streaming some ms office type stuff then you would be hard-pushed to notice any difference as the 3500u is a decent enough cpu

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I am thinking that the 500gb of storage could be handy also. You don't think that tje 4500u future proofs it better? I see what you mean though, and I definitely won't be using it for video editing. The gaming would be very little, maybe a bit of football manager

buyer95 wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I am thinking that the 500gb of storage could be handy also. You don't think that tje 4500u future proofs it better? I see what you mean though, and I definitely won't be using it for video editing. The gaming would be very little, maybe a bit of football manager

it would of course give it a bit more longevity but my point was that for many users the difference is not noticeable if they are only doing the bog-std stuff as the other cpu is already fine for that.

if it was a case of a really low-end cpu vs this then no contest.

no harm in getting it - would give a boost to the settings playable on FM I would imagine

and the extra ssd size will give you more leeway on being able to store stuff

afaik nothing else on the laptop has been changed

Thoughts on this laptop? ASUS VivoBook M413DA 14" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7, 1 TB SSD, Silver
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-m413da-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10212943-pdt.html

Thoughts on this laptop? ASUS VivoBook M413DA 14" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7, 1 TB SSD, Silver
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-m413da-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10212943-pdt.html

plastic build

3700u is only a few % stronger than the 3500u

thermal throttling problems due to insufficient cooling / bad design

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ Brusna

plastic build

3700u is only a few % stronger than the 3500u

thermal throttling problems due to insufficient cooling / bad design

I was looking at this one as well. It’s 10% off the advertised price so £476 for ryzen 7 3700u, 8gb ram, 1tb ssd.

Accepting the drawbacks you have outlined, is there any value in it at that price or is it better to look elsewhere for that money or similar.

well it's a cheap price for 1tb ssd even if it must be sata, not nvme

well you know the drawbacks

up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ Brusna

well it's a cheap price for 1tb ssd even if it must be sata, not nvme

well you know the drawbacks

up to you

I’m a novice to be honest but I do respect your opinion as do most people on here.

if you're after storage space it's a good deal for £476 and the cpu is fine for common uses

the cpu throttling thing is not really an issue unless you'll be pushing the cpu for gaming or video editing so if you're not likely to be doing that a lot would be ok

this comprehensive (and respected) site gives it a pretty good review and actually they say it's a metal case

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenBook-14-UM431DA-laptop-review-Also-makes-a-good-impression-with-Ryzen.453723.0.html

so again, if you're not going to be doing heavy tasks - good deal

does parcel motel etc work for currys uk?

if you're after storage space it's a good deal for £476 and the cpu is fine for common uses

the cpu throttling thing is not really an issue unless you'll be pushing the cpu for gaming or video editing so if you're not likely to be doing that a lot would be ok

this comprehensive (and respected) site gives it a pretty good review and actually they say it's a metal case

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenBook-14-UM431DA-laptop-review-Also-makes-a-good-impression-with-Ryzen.453723.0.html

so again, if you're not going to be doing heavy tasks - good deal

does parcel motel etc work for currys uk?

Thanks as ever for your input glasso. If it were you would you get the matebook 14 2020 or tbis?

• Advertisement

if you're not going to be stressing the cpu this is a good deal

otherwise the matebook d14 /magicbook lets the cpu run at high performance for much longer / continuously

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ cian8

As far as I can see the ASUS Vivobook is only available for click and collect, not home delivery so no possibility to use Parcel Motel etc. Looks nice other than that.

This Asus vivobook UM431DA a good example though of how laptops are not just about pure specs

If a laptop can't use the cpu inside to its full potential due to insufficient cooling then it's misleading based simply on the specs.

Real-world performance is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ Meanman

This Asus vivobook UM431DA a good example though of how laptops are not just about pure specs

If a laptop can't use the cpu inside to its full potential due to insufficient cooling then it's misleading based simply on the specs.

Real-world performance is where it's at.

Glasso: is it a good buy for a light user? thanks

Seems like a great deal on the huawei matebook 13 https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/laptops/matebook-13-amd/
    At 499 pounds, is this a better buy than the magicbook 14 or matebook 14?

Meanman wrote: »
    Glasso: is it a good buy for a light user? thanks

if you're only going to be doing light tasks like browsing, ms office, streaming yes

planning on a lot of video editing or more likely for people, gaming then don't go for it

how can you buy it tho from pc world uk? is online with redirect (e.g. parcel motel) an option?

Seems like a great deal on the huawei matebook 13 https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/laptops/matebook-13-amd/

good deal for £500 yes with that nice 2k colour-accurate screen

also the matebook non-d is a class up from the matebook d

a lot of people will say 13.3 inch latop screen is too small but I would say that it isn't

most business laptops have that screen size or very near (14 inch)

Huawei / honor blowing away the competition in terms of value-for-money these days

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ Meanman

if you're only going to be doing light tasks like browsing, ms office, streaming yes

planning on a lot of video editing or more likely for people, gaming then don't go for it

Thanks Glasso & Co. will keep following and learning.

I just bit on the honor magicbook 14 2020 AMZ4500 at 569 pounds. It is reduced by a further 30 pounds by honor for next two hours. https://m.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/black-friday-sales.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mick McCarthys Baby

I just bit on the honor magicbook 14 2020 AMZ4500 at 569 pounds. It is reduced by a further 30 pounds by honor for next two hours. https://m.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/black-friday-sales.html

Hi ,

Did you try set up an account with honor ? It asked me to verify my email from an account [email protected] . Looks dodgy

• Advertisement

swhyte07 wrote: »
    Hi ,

Did you try set up an account with honor ? It asked me to verify my email from an account [email protected] . Looks dodgy

No I used my Huawei login. It's certainly not dodgy!

Flash sale on honor laptops again on the official website until 2am https://m.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/black-friday-sales.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭ SouthWesterly

Flash sale on honor laptops again on the official website until 2am https://m.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/black-friday-sales.html

What are honor laptops like. I can get a magicbook 15 for £480 with a coupon.

What are honor laptops like. I can get a magicbook 15 for £480 with a coupon.

Huawei make Honor / own the brand

very well-built and good value laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ Luxemburgo

Is it possible to get this anywhere without being destroyed on customs/import from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ Aodhan5000

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cmmurph15

Hi,

Looking to get the Honor Magicbook 14 but struggling to find it anywhere online at the moment even the Honor website.

Any recommendations for websites selling them be much appreciated.

Advertisement