Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB STAFF NOT PROCESSING CREDIT TRANSFER

Options
  • 21-11-2020 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

I visited a PTSB branch ( which incidentally despite central location has no cash teller) in order to close my account. I provided an original current account statement as my 3rd party Irish Bank account as payee account to the official, identifying my BIC& IBAN. Official initially said IBAN inputed by her was incorrect. I had to point out her error entering a number instead of letter, which she should have known was a letter due to its location which is always a letter in all Irish Bank IBANS. Then she agreed it was correct. Following on from this she said BIC was incorrect. ( BIC was absolutely correct) I found this incredible and told her I thought BIC was inconsequential and it must be correct as supplied on headed notepaper by 3rd party Irish Bank. She then asked me if I wanted to purchase a draft for €2.50 as otherwise she would have to apparently remove something or other from the system or BIC to process the free credit transfer and I must sign a separate document to cover this. When I expressed my reservations as to a risk of this not going through aa a result she could not and did not attempt assuage my concerns of a risk and nor did she deny a risk involved in the transfer. I thus felt utterly compelled to agree to buying the draft as it was a few thousand Euro involved.

I am quite annoyed and now wonder on point of principle if I should seek a refund of this €2.50 as it was their error and I did not want a draft. (She seemed to perk up when I agreed to pay.) I had already forgone a few Euro due in interest due to early withdrawl which I wasnt bothered about. I normally try to avoid all bank charges as my taxes bailed them out. This bank did well out of me financially in the past.

Incidentally the form they asked me to sign to complete the credit transfer absolved them of all liability for errors. In any event the transfer did not proceed. The said bank official was of mature years and I assume experienced all the more surprising.

Thankfully I dont usually bank with them and just cant bear going in there.I was kept for about 20 mins with only one other staff member on the floor coming and going.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So lesson learned. Next time around, go online, transfer all cash to another account and confirm it has arrived before attempting to close account.

Advertisement