Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickering bulbs

Options
  • 20-11-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,

I have light fittings downstairs with G9 bulbs fitted that appear to flicker every minute or so. It’s very faint and not obvious to the eye unless you’re looking for it. Also upstairs in some lights I have LED “vintage style” e27 fittings that do the same. Would this be a case of cheap (B and Q, Diall range) bulbs or point to a more serious issue such as a fluctuating voltage in the house?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Has the issue only happened since you changed to B+Q bulbs? If not maybe get a RECI in to check the cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I have noticed that some of the newer bulbs do not fit tight into receivers, there is a bit of a wobble. This is for both bayonet and screw-in types
    These are usually the stores own range.

I have never had this issue when using Solus bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Are they dimmable bulbs by any chance? Sometimes the dimmer switch is not compatible with the bulbs used.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

I had the same issue OP, assumed the worst and thought it was a bad connection somewhere on the wiring. We don't normally use ceiling lights that often so I left it on the long finger. Later I changed the light fitting and bulbs (not to try and fix the issue) and the light flickered no more.

I think its the bulb at fault, change it and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Spark

Czhornet wrote: »
    Are they dimmable bulbs by any chance? Sometimes the dimmer switch is not compatible with the bulbs used.

CZ is right on dimmer compatability. Also some of the G9 lamps need a final push into the receivers for a firm connection. Ensure light is switched off when putting in the lamps & do not hold the glass part, use a piece of foam around it to insert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds like a loose connection. Either the common live or neutral.

Advertisement