Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir FTTH speed issues after swapping router

• 20-11-2020 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi all,

It's a strange issue I have and hopefully, someone can help me understand it?

For the last two weeks, I'm enjoying Eir's FTTH broadband consistently reaching 1000Mbps. Unfortunately, difficulties in forwarding port 443 as well as other limitations pushed me to decide to replace it with my own router. I configured it and it worked straight away but instead of 1000Mbps it is only giving me 180Mbps with occasional jumps up to 240Mbps but nowhere close to 1Gbps.

I'm attaching screenshots from old router WAN configuration. New router configured as follows:
    Eth0: VLAN10, IPv4 DHCP, MTU 1500
    Eth1: regular LAN with DHCP server, MTU 1500
    See drawing attached.

Am I missing any 'secret' Eir parameters here?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Could it be QoS of your router? Had similar issue with Netgear , had to do factory reset to fix it .

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭PapaSierra

Thanks for the suggestion Alec76. TBH I don't think it could be QoS as I started with a full factory reset first and then used one of the wizards to configure the router so all other settings should be set to default?

Another difference I see between the old and my new router configs is that the Sagembox had IPv4 as well as IPv6 configured on the WAN side (see screenshots) while my UBNT router is only configured for v4. Saying that, I cannot see how the internet protocol used could possibly result in such a speed difference.

I would love to plug in my laptop directly to the Huawei unit bypassing routers all together but cannot figure out how to set VLAN on my NIC unless I find some free time to download linux on a bootable stick but I doubt my wife will give me that much time, I'm already stretching my limits :D

Piotr

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Assuming VLAN is set and you have an active connection.
    I've had the same problem using an Asus and it was QoS and Network monitoring that was the culprit.

Ensure those are off, rerun the speed tests and then it can be ruled out.

Ok, thank, I will try that. I just installed some Intel NIC software and managed to configure my laptop NIC with a VLAN 10 and... full speed when plugged directly to the huawei ONT. This confirms that it's the Ubnt router issue and not some missing configuration as VLAN 10 is all it needs to work.

I will try QoS and will let you know how it worked.

Cheers

Traffic Monitoring is completely switched off, nothing configured under QoS neither. I will be trying ubnt community forums.

[edit] When running a speed test CPU usage jumps to around 90% but still I cannot find any features enabled which would load the CPU so much.

• Advertisement

Ok, after extensive amounts of googling, messing with settings, rebooting and testing, testing, testing...

Conclusion is: this unit simply has a CPU which is not capable to handle gigabit connections no matter how many things are disabled, it is only good for that eFibre crap speeds but nothing more.

I will give the Sagembox a second chance in forwarding my port 443 and if I fail again I will buy a faster ubnt router.

Cheers,
    Piotr

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You say EdgeRouter3, do you mean EdgeRouterLite -3 ?

Either way it should manage it.
    https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading
    configure

set system offload ipv4 forwarding enable
    set system offload ipv4 gre enable
    set system offload ipv4 pppoe enable
    set system offload ipv4 vlan enable
    set system offload ipv4 bonding enable

set system offload ipv6 forwarding enable
    set system offload ipv6 pppoe enable
    set system offload ipv6 vlan enable

set system offload ipsec enable

commit ; save

Something along that looks to be required, if Im reading the man page right its not all on by default.

I just unplugged all the wires and switched back to the Eir router but I will certainly try it tomorrow. I just assumed it has to be on by default. Thanks a lot!!! :)

I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway without testing it so I did and that did it!!!

THANK YOU. If you're ever in Bandon I will but you a beer :)

[edit]
    One small problem:
    set system offload ipv6 vlan enable
    gives me:
    IPv6 pppoe must be disabled for vlan offload

Value validation failed
    Set failed

but I'm not using PPPoE.

Cheers
    Piotr

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Meh, you're not using v6 at all so wouldnt worry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement