Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What change did you make to your life for the better / worse in 2020?

Options
  • 20-11-2020 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

It's been a circus of a year. Been thinking a lot lately about things that have helped and things that have not helped me personally with getting through lockdowns, uncertainty and also in general in my life.

Some things:

Walking. I spent the first lockdown very sedentary, isolating on my own and dealing with work stress, getting used to WFH, habits went out the window. Got back to Ireland and started walking back in August. Started with the prom in Galway. Now I'm back in London and get up every day at 6.30am just so I can walk for 90 minutes before the chaos of the day. Podcast on, dark and silent outside, I get to process my thoughts before dealing with the work onslaught. Got rid of the Covid weight and has probably made me less of a cranky and more of a reasonable, even-tempered human.

Coffee. This is my "for worse" thing. I drink far too much coffee, probably 5 cups a day these days. I was a "could take it or leave it" type before WFH. Bought myself an Aeropress and Nespresso machine back in March and it's been downhill every since. I've tried to wean myself off, I've tried the "drink herbal tea instead" thing, it just doesn't work because I need my caffeine goddammit. It definitely makes me jittery and more irritable than I need to be, but fack it. Here we are. Least it's not heroine.

What changes have you made in your life this year AH?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Laser eye surgery!! Just yesterday. Was sick of masks and glasses. So that’s better.

Hmmm - everything else was shít. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

robbed a bank

it was good for me which is all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Aeropress coffee is like heroin to me bitofabind!
    I have a nespresso machine and can take or leave that, same goes for even the nicest take away coffee but as soon as I spot the aeropress peeking out at me from behind the cereal I'm like...sorry, what was that..you want me to drink you?! But but...I've already had 3 cups and it's not even midday yet! I can close the press and walk away but moments later I hear that velvety voice dripping with sweet caffeine and its aahhhhhh just hook it to my veins!!

I have quit drinking albeit not because I wanted to but it has had a very positive effect on my life in general. I think it's the turning point I needed but couldn't find before and I hope this will re-establish my relationship with booze going forward. It really has opened my eyes to the damage alcohol was doing not only to me but to those around me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Started going to the gym before work. The pandemic means that it's limited and at 06:30 there are only myself and a few lads there. I hate going and I've no idea what I should be doing but it's done wonders for my stress and my mood in general.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A focus on fitness which has worked wonders during this odd time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Daily meditation has been great for my stress levels.

On the flip side my local takeaway now know me on a first name basis so that's not so great.

language learning ...tried to eat better

Lot of internal work. Leaving what no longer serves me. Realized that i actually had the right idea all along. But i let others push me off my path.

Most get serious about the running now

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Porklife wrote: »
    I have quit drinking albeit not because I wanted to but it has had a very positive effect on my life in general. I think it's the turning point I needed but couldn't find before and I hope this will re-establish my relationship with booze going forward. It really has opened my eyes to the damage alcohol was doing not only to me but to those around me.

That's huge, well done and fair play. I had a bit of a Come to Jesus moment with booze myself during lockdown, one too many boozed up Zoom calls and I realised you know what, I'll never be someone who can drink responsibly 100% of the time or not be hungover after two glasses of wine, may as well stopped trying with this. Have become a complete seldom drinker now and don't miss it at all, feel so much better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

bitofabind wrote: »

Coffee. This is my "for worse" thing. I drink far too much coffee, probably 5 cups a day these days. I was a "could take it or leave it" type before WFH. Bought myself an Aeropress and Nespresso machine back in March and it's been downhill every since. I've tried to wean myself off...

No need to wean yourself off it if you're not having any side effects, jitters or trouble sleeping. I easily drink 5 a day and no issues at all, I used to be around 8-10 cups a day in the office and no issues there either.

DilD wrote: »
    No need to wean yourself off it if you're not having any side effects, jitters or trouble sleeping. I easily drink 5 a day and no issues at all, I used to be around 8-10 cups a day in the office and no issues there either.
    :D

YAY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've gone from being a complete couch potato, to walking 10k steps a day, then started jogging and have sloooowly worked myself up to being able to jog for 30 minutes with no break. I'm still super slow, mostly because I've a bit of extra weight which I need to lose, but I'm happy that I've been so consistent with this and can actually do it now instead of just talking about it.

This has just been a really nice year for me overall. I've read a lot of good books. I've learned to be super content and comfortable in my own company. I've made a conscious effort to stay connected with family and good friends. I've experimented a bit with my cooking. I've kicked ass working from home all year, even though I only started my new job a couple of weeks before the first lockdown so had very little training before we were all sent home.

I know the restrictions this year have been a pain in the arse, but it's all only temporary. I feel I've made the most of a challenging situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Emigrated with the family to Poland in the middle of a pandemic.
    I didn't see anything wrong, as the decision to do had been decided well before the pandemic.
    Funnily a week or two after arriving I was talking to a family friend of my wife I was saying how crazy times are with covid and all that goes with it. There replie was,
    do you not think it's crazy moving your faimly have way around the world in the middle of a pandemic, they definitely got me thinking about things have to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Quite a few actually...

Fully automated the work place... God it is finally nice to be able to work from home, Staff love it too.

Cleaned and organised the house for the first time properly in years.

Didn't travel, amazing how "well" I have been this year without breathing in crap on planes.

Took a health kick even further.

Got my teeth straightened (on-going) I know vanity is a terrible thing! It's something I have wanted to do for years. Never had the time and meeting people this year was a no-no... so my lisping wasn't an issue. 3 months left to go and very happy.

Got to know my neighbours even more. Lovely Lovely people.

Realise that we did a good job with the kids. All grown up left and perusing their own lives and independent.

Things I need to change....

Getting to see family more. One thing I have absolutely committed to for the next few years. We only have a limited amount of time and those that matter most are foremost in my thoughts at all times. I miss them immensely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

bitofabind wrote: »
    It's been a circus of a year. Been thinking a lot lately about things that have helped and things that have not helped me personally with getting through lockdowns, uncertainty and also in general in my life.

Some things:

Walking. I spent the first lockdown very sedentary, isolating on my own and dealing with work stress, getting used to WFH, habits went out the window. Got back to Ireland and started walking back in August. Started with the prom in Galway. Now I'm back in London and get up every day at 6.30am just so I can walk for 90 minutes before the chaos of the day. Podcast on, dark and silent outside, I get to process my thoughts before dealing with the work onslaught. Got rid of the Covid weight and has probably made me less of a cranky and more of a reasonable, even-tempered human.

Coffee. This is my "for worse" thing. I drink far too much coffee, probably 5 cups a day these days. I was a "could take it or leave it" type before WFH. Bought myself an Aeropress and Nespresso machine back in March and it's been downhill every since. I've tried to wean myself off, I've tried the "drink herbal tea instead" thing, it just doesn't work because I need my caffeine goddammit. It definitely makes me jittery and more irritable than I need to be, but fack it. Here we are. Least it's not heroine.

What changes have you made in your life this year AH?

Substitute coffee with normal black tea, and make yourself drink a glass of water before you have your tea. This helped me cut down on coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I am wildly jealous. I would give up alcohol before I’d give up coffee. But coffee doesn’t love me, triggers some weird hormonal reaction that makes me very very tired. I only drink 3 to 4 cups a week now and I still don’t feel great after. I’d give anything to be one of those people who can down unlimited cups of coffee with no side effects. I also find it weird that some people don’t like the stuff, can’t get my head around that at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

No trouble sleeping but it definitely gives me the jitters, makes me suuuuper reactive which is probably not ideal in a high stress work environment.

That and sugar are a work in progress shall we say. Maybe ones for the "2021" Resolutions list.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Increased fapping from thrice a day to at least 6 times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Piehead wrote: »
    Increased fapping from thrice a day to at least 6 times a day
    Stop looking at the old photos of Maxi Dick and Twink so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

finally listened to the floyd.

tis like a fungus, or a pack of salted crackers.

Advertisement