Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall/Rawl plug recommendations for plasterboard?

Options
  • 20-11-2020 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Just looking for recommendations for best type of wall plugs to use on plasterboard (some wont be able to go through the stud due to positioning).

This is mainly for hanging run of the mill bathroom mirrors in en suites not tiled so nothing to strenuous but at the same time, will be only fastened to plasterboard so its not the strongest of supports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Here you go , all covered here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjF827bxPFQ

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

My favourite. Just don't play around with them. Screw them in and leave without backing off or you will weaken the grip

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

for heavier stuff iff block wall behind, compress nail and self tapper into the hole in the compress nail

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for heavier stuff I like the hollow wall anchors

It's also worth getting the setting tool as if your plasterboard surface is in any way soft, there's a risk of gouging a hole when trying to set them with a screwdriver.

but do watch that video above - I love that's guys videos, they're incredibly well made and useful! Or better, his updated version which feature more fixings!:

(he issues a serious health warning about the screw-in fixings Wearb mentions, and I agree with him, I've had bad results with those).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Wearb wrote: »
    My favourite. Just don't play around with them. Screw them in and leave without backing off or you will weaken the grip

Anytime I've used those the plaster has just kind of crumbled and cracked on me as the screw goes into the plaster.
    Maybe its not great plaster or I'm doing something wrong but not a fan of them.

If its light enough that I'm happy to not go into a stud I find a standard rawl plug does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Great stuff thanks all. The mirrors are pretty light so might take the advice in the video and start with small first like that Fischer one he mentioned.

Suppose I have a second question here, anyone find those stud finders any good? While these are going directly above bathroom sinks im confident there's no wires etc and its expected a mirror would be placed here.. I Woukd like to find something solid behind if possible but knocking isn't helping me here.

Some very mixed reviews online and mixed pricing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

joe123 wrote: »
    Great stuff thanks all. The mirrors are pretty light so might take the advice in the video and start with small first like that Fischer one he mentioned.

Suppose I have a second question here, anyone find those stud finders any good? While these are going directly above bathroom sinks im confident there's no wires etc and its expected a mirror would be placed here.. I Woukd like to find something solid behind if possible but knocking isn't helping me here.

Some very mixed reviews online and mixed pricing too!

Brand dependent tbh, got one in Aldi was rubbish , bought one 4 years later in Amazon i find it works properly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JP7GWFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Advertisement