Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some people think it's okay to leave others on read?

Options
  • 19-11-2020 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

By being "left on read" I mean the other person has clearly read your message that is clearly requiring a response and just doesn't give one. Another thing is specifically saying they will give you a call at a certain time and don't do it.

I think it's one of the highest forms of disrespect possible and it's frustrating as well. There is always a better way of doing things. I honestly think it's more of a power trip for them than anything else.

It'd be like the real life equivalent of if you spotted someone you knew and said hello and they simply kept looking away as if they didn't even know you. It's just the senselessness of it, to not even acknowledge the person.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Just letting you know I've read this thread and might come back and write a proper reply later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I do it all the time. Pissed off a few people with it but I think 'ah I'll reply to that in a minute' then that minute becomes an hour, a day, sometimes longer. People do it to me as well but I'm not bothered. They are probably busy and I'm glad they're not glued to their phone all day replying to messages like sheep.

Tis the real life equivelant of opening your letter box, plonking all the letters on the kitchen table and fecking off to do a bit of chainsawing before it gets dark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Never happens to me, maybe they just don't like you?

Tis the real life equivelant of opening your letter box, plonking all the letters on the kitchen table and fecking off

Yeah, exactl...
    to do a bit of chainsawing before it gets dark

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

✓✓

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Best thing you can do OP is leave it 20mins then message again with "Hello??"

People love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

He does give one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Panthro wrote: »

People love that.

Hello, I have a chainsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Probably because they don’t like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'll keep doing it until they take the hint to not message me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

By being "left on read" I mean the other person has clearly read your message that is clearly requiring a response and just doesn't give one. Another thing is specifically saying they will give you a call at a certain time and don't do it.

I think it's one of the highest forms of disrespect possible and it's frustrating as well. There is always a better way of doing things. I honestly think it's more of a power trip for them than anything else.

It'd be like the real life equivalent of if you spotted someone you knew and said hello and they simply kept looking away as if they didn't even know you. It's just the senselessness of it, to not even acknowledge the person.

Who's the girl?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hi.

WB x x x

Panthro wrote: »

People love that.

Followed by:

"?"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jaysus, needy people do my head in.

OP, if someone doesn't reply, they don't want to reply.

I have conversations with some of my friends that might be one message every few days in response to something, we get to it when we get to it.

Everyone had a million things going on. On a scale of things, text/WhatsApp messages are generally incredibly unimportant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you want an instant reply from someone, talk to them in person or call them.

If you want them to deal with whatever the subject is at their leisure, text, message, email or write to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

By being "left on read" I mean the other person has clearly read your message that is clearly requiring a response and just doesn't give one.

Because it is ok. If people have more important things to do then reply to you thats life, get over it. They could be genuinely busy and then they could forget about your message.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I'm reading insecurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The OP has gone silent on us.

You reply as and when suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

.anon. wrote: »
    Yeah, exactl...

What?

Don't want to be out chainsawing in the dark. Have to make use of the daylight. Messages can wait till dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

People get distracted and can't always answer immediately and then sometimes they can forget.

Social media has really exacerbated instant gratification and needless anxiety about the ebb and flow of normal human interaction.

Plus so much of my Whatsapp interaction is just forwarding stuff (not criticizing) so it doesn't always warrant a reply.

That said, I have a good friend that lives overseas and I basically ignore about 75% of his Whatsapp messages as he sends 'news dump' messages about politics at least once or twice a day. I'd reply to a few of them but mostly not. I'd answer anything personal though.

He doesn't seem to mind (as he keeps sending them) and I still love the guy so thankfully he's not thin-skinned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I tend not to be quick when replying to friends who are hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I guess we've been ghosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I guess we've been ghosted.

The blue tick is watching. Judging. Waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I didn't see that coming, well played OP, well played

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It has never even occurred to me that this is not ok.

Damn ...actually op you are right ..imma rude bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The blue tick is watching. Judging. Waiting.

I thought it was the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

o1s1n wrote: »
    Jaysus, needy people do my head in.

OP, if someone doesn't reply, they don't want to reply.

I have conversations with some of my friends that might be one message every few days in response to something, we get to it when we get to it.

Everyone had a million things going on. On a scale of things, text/WhatsApp messages are generally incredibly unimportant.

I’ve no issue if somebody doesn’t reply immediately but.....If someone doesn’t reply habitually then as I have done I just stop replying to them... an older work colleague was the one who was like that, with everyone... he’d be onto you in a heartbeat on WhatsApp looking for a shift swap, or the inside track on a problem or advice... but if you needed the same.. nothing, then maybe a week later.. ” ohh I saw that message, sorry no can do” he was eventually almost ghosted by every colleague.... he was a mè feiner 100%...:who eventually backed himself into a corner.

Anyone who I don’t want speak to I block, otherwise I just reply in as timely a fashion as I can. It’s just good manners and being respectful, that courtesy only gets removed when it is not reciprocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

No one owes you an immediate reply just because they know that you can see that they've read your message.

Read receipts on professional emails are one of my personal bugbears. It's none of your business when I read your email, I never allow the read response to send.

As for personal conversations, if you need an immediate reply, ring. Otherwise the person will probably reply eventually if they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The usual craic with this fella...

Advertisement