Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor tree wrapping lights

Options
  • 19-11-2020 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I want to wrap the tree out the front of my house with lights for Christmas, along the lines of the tree in the attached pic (although not pink). I've been googling lights but there's a load of different types, in different lengths, and huge variations in prices. Anyone done something similar, and could point me in the right direction?

I've got an outdoor socket, so I'm thinking I'd like to buy a number of lengths of lights (warm white), that can be joined together, and wrapped around the trunk/branches, to be left there year round, and then a seperate cable to run from the base of the tree to the socket for the Christmas period so I can turn them on.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi would the standalone photocell units not be an option and stay away from the 220V mains power?

I've outside sockets too. I'll use them.formthe Sanity lighting.

This week I popped up a photocell unit my wife bought.

They seem to last a long time as in they stayed lit though the whole night, not something I'd had before.

Also they are made of that's lightly covered copper that slugs won't slide over.

I'll look up where she got them if you want, the positive feedback on them was in the thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Stoner wrote: »
    Hi would the standalone photocell units not be an option and stay away from the 220V mains power?

I've outside sockets too. I'll use them.formthe Sanity lighting.

This week I popped up a photocell unit my wife bought.

They seem to last a long time as in they stayed lit though the whole night, not something I'd had before.

Also they are made of that's lightly covered copper that slugs won't slide over.

I'll look up where she got them if you want, the positive feedback on them was in the thousands.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm open to all suggestions!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks Stoner. Those look good, but I suspect they'd struggle in my location (Galway in December, with a pretty sheltered front garden). Also, they wouldn't be long enough for the job (I saw a review on amazon where someone used them on a tree and they only went as far as the top of the trunk). I like the way the lights are part of the strip though. Maybe there's a longer plug in version out there? I'll look!

Anyone else care to point me at an alternative?

THanks again

Advertisement