Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a Tv Feature wall

Options
  • 19-11-2020 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

ok complete novice , but should be able to make a stud wall or screw wood together

but i need ideas to wood sizes to use etc

anybody do this themselves ?

Comments

ok complete novice , but should be able to make a stud wall or screw wood together

but i need ideas to wood sizes to use etc

anybody do this themselves ?

I watched a professional build one in my house last week and now way would I attempt to do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I watched a professional build one in my house last week and now way would I attempt to do it myself.

Thats pretty swish, nice finish work there by whomever did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There are several TVs now available which are completely flat to the wall with a consistent but thin "picture frame" profile.

So unless you need it to be on a swivelling stand, I don't really see the point, easier to just chase a channel for power, aerial and a couple of ultra HDMI.

Obvs that's not really in the spirit of DIY though, for which I am profoundly sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    There are several TVs now available which are completely flat to the wall with a consistent but thin "picture frame" profile.

So unless you need it to be on a swivelling stand, I don't really see the point, easier to just chase a channel for power, aerial and a couple of ultra HDMI.

Obvs that's not really in the spirit of DIY though, for which I am profoundly sorry.

very good point, Whats actually going on this wall that requires a new wall as such

listermint wrote: »
    Thats pretty swish, nice finish work there by whomever did it.

Thanks. Old school cabinet maker. My wife did the designs and he built them. I'd seen his work before and he is seriously talented.

He did another book shelf and feature wall for us too. Was going to do it myself but glad I left it to a professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 BrandNewMedium

Thanks. Old school cabinet maker. My wife did the designs and he built them. I'd seen his work before and he is seriously talented.

He did another book shelf and feature wall for us too. Was going to do it myself but glad I left it to a professional.

That looks like great work, did he install too? I have toyed with tackling this in our place myself but I think the finish is too important for it to be a DIY job

That looks like great work, did he install too? I have toyed with tackling this in our place myself but I think the finish is too important for it to be a DIY job

He built in a workshop offsite and then installed it himself.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Installing it is half the battle, all cabinet makers will do the install for bespoke fitted furniture.

IMO these things are way more difficult than they appear to make. A keen woodworker / hobbyist will make a go of it but you're average person doing it will end up with something that looks obviously amateur.

Then you have to paint the damn thing. Not fun.

Advertisement