Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No vent in sitting room

Options
  • 19-11-2020 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

We are getting a new stove installed in a few weeks and were advised we need a vent. We have new windows coming soon too with built in vents. Do we really need to put a hole/vent in the wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, a room with a combustion appliance needs a permanently open (i.e. not closable) vent.

Also, window vents often don't perform well, but that's probably not what you want to hear having ordered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes, hot air raises. So the hot air will raise up the chimney. Without a vent to replace this air. The hot air could get sucked back down, causing a risk of excess ( odourless ) CO in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Anonposter2020

Thank you both. Will definitely get a wall vent in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

We are getting a new stove installed in a few weeks and were advised we need a vent. We have new windows coming soon too with built in vents. Do we really need to put a hole/vent in the wall?
    Concrete or wooden floor?
    Is it on an outside wall?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

We had a vent stuck on the floor boards and removed it now as not using gas fire in sitting room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

This was said to us but we actually had one behind the gas stove so criteria was met.

We also had raised floors in a 50's build so plenty of air getting in either way - new builds often come with mad venting - I'm sure the regs are gone anal - Can do a vent quick yourself with a decent sds drill (Lidl actually do the long bits for 15 quid).

Better safe than sorry - especially when the main argument is over a few euro fuel costs

Concrete or wooden floor?
    Is it on an outside wall?

I believe the floor has wooden joists as it was built in the 1960s but we haven't pulled it up yet. We did one bedroom and it has joists.

Yes outside stone wall.

This was said to us but we actually had one behind the gas stove so criteria was met.

We also had raised floors in a 50's build so plenty of air getting in either way - new builds often come with mad venting - I'm sure the regs are gone anal - Can do a vent quick yourself with a decent sds drill (Lidl actually do the long bits for 15 quid).

Better safe than sorry - especially when the main argument is over a few euro fuel costs

We have vents outside but near the ground. The wall is stone so I assume it'll be more difficult? It was built in the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

greasepalm wrote: »
    We had a vent stuck on the floor boards and removed it now as not using gas fire in sitting room.

so vent in the (suspended) floor, which is in turn vented to the outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

loyatemu wrote: »
    so vent in the (suspended) floor, which is in turn vented to the outside?

Ahh yes forgot the grille in the brickwork outside.:eek::D

• Advertisement
Advertisement