Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Shed Leak

Options
  • 19-11-2020 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a fairly new shed, about a year or two old, and it's driving me crazy. The last timber shed I had lasted about 15/20 years, though did need the roof patched a few times since it was felt,but never leaked. Anyway, new shed, tin roof with two windows. 8x6ft

My issue is a severe leak around both windows. It's has been treated, I'll get the name of the stuff tomorrow, and I have sealed all around the window frames, around the glass, everywhere I can think of, but it's almost still as bad.

I need to find out where the rain is coming in and fill/seal, any suggestions on figuring that out?

It's really difficult to see because it's usually when it has rained hard and by the time I get to it there's too much water to see where exactly it came from. Most seems to be on the cross piece below each window frame inside.

I can take pics tomorrow and show where is sealed and where the water is if that would help.

Expensive shed and I don't want it to rot away :/

Any help appreciated.

Edit, shed would be similar to this. *It wasn't from that provider*

https://hennessyoutdoors.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are you sure it's water coming in from rain and not moisture inside from poor ventilation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Thanks for the reply. I keep an eye daily and I don't see any build up of condensation on the windows. And it's a fair bit of water. It's not far off forming a puddle on the floor beneath the windows. At the moment there wouldn't really be anyone in the shed, it's just storage over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Do the windows have external ledges to help drain water away from the window edges?

An idea might be to use a strip of aluminium as an angled ledge for the bottom of the window and the same as an overhang above the window.

Here wind driven rain can be a problem for a lot of sheds / garden structures. The above will help divert rain away from any entry around the window and timber joints.

Haven't tried that but might give it a go. Not an easy question for you to answer I'm sure but how much of an overhang would you think? Say 50mm on top and just a small bead around the sides and the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Could you not stay inside the shed and get someone to hose down the window so you can see exactly where the leak is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is it wrote: »
    Haven't tried that but might give it a go. Not an easy question for you to answer I'm sure but how much of an overhang would you think? Say 50mm on top and just a small bead around the sides and the bottom?

I'd use a 10 cm overhang and same for ledge. A strip of it can be secured using tacks or screws. The plus is that aluminium won't rust etc.

Could you not stay inside the shed and get someone to hose down the window so you can see exactly where the leak is?

:D never thought of that, I'll actually give that a go first and see how I get on. Thanks!

Advertisement