Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steinhart limit shipments to Ireland

Options
  • 17-11-2020 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever come across this. I was trying to buy another steinhart from their website but i couldnt find Ireland as a shipment location in the drop down. Having bought them before i knew they shipped to Ireland so i contacted them and got this response.

Thank you very much for contacting us. Unfortunately, there is only a certain contigent we can ship to Ireland every year, which has been used up for this year. You might want to order from our dealer Chronomaster in GB. As of next year, we would be pleased to serve you again .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

At a guess they want to stay below the threshold for Irish VAT reporting perhaps?

banie01 wrote: »
    At a guess they want to stay below the threshold for Irish VAT reporting perhaps?

Just to add, a little bit of reading would seem to confirm that distance sales into Ireland from another EU country would trigger a need for Irish VAT registration at €35k per annum.

So it's a far simpler accounting and admin process to leave sales above that threshold to authorised agents and dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

banie01 wrote: »
    Just to add, a little bit of reading would seem to confirm that distance sales into Ireland from another EU country would trigger a need for Irish VAT registration at €35k per annum.

So it's a far simpler accounting and admin process to leave sales above that threshold to authorised agents and dealers.

That makes sense so. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

So at most 100 watches into Ireland each year. Seems small enough.

893bet wrote: »

It really does, but they probably offer that restricted direct supply as a sweetener of sorts to anyone willing to take on a dealer status with them.

TF is probably far better placed to advise on intra-EU tax requirements.
    But at a semi educated guess, the threshold is set to allow "small" retailers and service the opportunity of cross border relatively paperwork free trade and trying to put compliance on to the feet of businesses with an accountant or a compliance officer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

893bet wrote: »

Suddenly the Steinhart on my wrist feels a lot more exclusive :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I wonder is it the same for any other countries? There seem to be a few enterprising gents importing them into the states without vat and charging handsomely to check that bezels align before selling them on. If I find a link in WUS I'll add it in.

Edit; https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/why-is-steinhart-resale-so-high.2648721/ it seems that some Americans are slow to buy a watch by themselves abroad and import it, so not exactly the same thing. I don't think there's too many on here with that shyness problem. OP have you tried gnomon? https://www.gnomonwatches.com/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Just ship it to your parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I am a big fan of addresspal (run by An Post) too - and post Brexit they'll still be operating (just no more local post office collection).

Advertisement