Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Beaded insulation pumped into walls of Semi D of hollow block construction

Options
  • 16-11-2020 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi
    I always heard that you could only get the beaded insulation pumped into walls of house that built of un-obstructed cavity construction

Have heard of what appears to be reputable company who saying they do this in houses built of hollow block construction. They saying that they can pump in about 50% of what they would pump into walls of house built of un-obstructed cavity construction

Anyone living in Semi D house of Hollow block construction and have got the beaded insulation pumped into the walls

If so;
    - Was it worth the money spent
    - Has it made any difference in terms of heat retention in house
    - Has it reduced your heating bills any way
    - Would you recommend it

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

No doubt it could be done, but would there be an appreciable benefit? I personally wouldn’t think so - the level of thermal bridge afforded by a cavity block is so considerable I think it would negate much of the insulation value of the beads.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Passport1

Thanks Lenar3556. I was thinking that myself too. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

It's virtually impossible to pump this type of wall to any significant level so don't waste your money - instead invest your cash in external insulation or internal dry lining. Also ensure that you have a minimum of 300mm insulation in attic

Thanks Monseiur for the reply. Great advise and recommendations. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

How would one know if they had a hollow block used in the construction?

I'm in a mid terrace townhouse built in 2006 if that's of relevance.

I was considering getting a bonded bead insulation pumped into the walls as some neighbours have done so and said it reduced their heat loss and electric bills.

• Advertisement

Hi Gandroid.

When we bought house the surveyor who carried our the survey for us told us it was hollow block construction but i guess any company you would ask to quote you for insulation would be able to tell you if your house is hollow block construction or unobstructed cavity

Some of your neighbours might know either and could tell you

Hope this helps

Advertisement