Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cecil Nolan, DJ from The Grove, RIP

Options
  • 16-11-2020 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭

Cecil Nolan, who was the DJ at The Grove in St Pauls Raheny for the entirety of it's 30 year existence died earlier today in St Francis Hospice. He introduced a couple of generation of dublin northsiders to some fantastic music and will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

RIP Cecil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OMG - Cecil from - OF The Grove? . Very sorry to hear this.
    An absolute musical legend.
    Blasted great music into many lives.
    And his one red lightbulb on the stage.
    And the epic rock ballad slowsets.

Rest In Peace Cecil.
    Thank you for all the mad nights & headbanging rock madness & teenage lust & grove mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Absolute legend. In St. Paul’s, they used to do this thing that the first two people in the queue could bring a record, and Cecil would put a whole side on while the place was filling up. There used to be fierce competition to get there first. We brought Napalm Death’s Scum one night. Cecil had no problem putting it on while me and my mates moshed like lunatics while everyone else stood around bewildered.

RIP Cecil, and thanks for some fantastic nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

RIP to the great man

Introduced me to some fantastic music that has stayed with me a lifetime.
    The Grove was a great social club for teens and met many really nice people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Absolute legend. In St. Paul’s, they used to do this thing that the first two people in the queue could bring a record, and Cecil would put a whole side on while the place was filling up. There used to be fierce competition to get there first. We brought Napalm Death’s Scum one night. Cecil had no problem putting it on while me and my mates moshed like lunatics while everyone else stood around bewildered.

RIP Cecil, and thanks for some fantastic nights.

because of that early slot (and I assume people like yourself - thanks! ) I got a decent taste of a type of metal that I'd normally not have bothered with like Kreator, Obituary and there seemed to be a mad keen following for Deicide. was always great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have asked the mods to edit the thread title to include mention of The Grove. Some people may have passed the thread by because they didn't know him by his full name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Marty Whelan had a lovely tribute to him yesterday morning on his LyricFM show. Marty was a grove head and I've seen him at the reunions. It starts at about 2.44 here. He then played the last song that Cecil listened to before he died. It was Starman by David Bowie https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/lyric/11252355

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Even a dyed in the wool southsider like me knew of him. :) Good bloke. RIP.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Former Grover here. I absolutely loved the place and have many fond memories of Cecil. He was such an amazing person and gave a whole generation of Dublin kids a place to call home. I can't hear Come on Eileen without thinking of the Grove and how we'd get into one big circle. Those of us lucky enough to be part of it are very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

My friends and I used to hate the fact that Cecil did play the same older tunes each and every week. We used to make bets on the next song, so regularly did he play certain ones.

But he also played the latest alternative stuff of the time. The only place in my area I could get to hear some of the non-chart music.

I thought it would be a good idea to post some of the "regular" tunes here, for old times sake.

Starting off with two of his favourites...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was only there a few times but I remember I just can't get enough by Depeche Mode used to cause a stir every time. Grew up right beside St Paul's so everyone around that way knew him, I was just a bit too young, then it turned into something called Club G I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Not from my parts but great to see the lovely tributes and memories of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Black Betty
    Boys Don’t Cry
    You spin me round
    More than a feeling
    Just can’t get enough
    Smoke on the Water
    American Pie

Not to mention the hippy section & the compound

Every time I hear those songs I’m back into that hall, the dark, the energy, the madness.

He was a real genius for what worked for teenagers and always a gentleman.

Thank you for the music & mad memories.

RIP Cecil

Advertisement