Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard times bringing out the best in people

Options
  • 16-11-2020 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

It has been said that hard times bring out the best in some people and the worst in others.

Well, the other day myself and two pals went in to get a burrito. We masked up, queued and picked the fillings (plenty of sour cream and jalapenos!). As I went to pay for the food, I noticed that it was a card-only establishment. So the burritos were made, wrapped and ready but no cash would be accepted. None of us had a card with him. We had to leave the food behind.

As we were already out of the place, the guy behind the till calls after us that someone offered to pay for the whole lot. A sound chap behind us in the queue saw our plight and stepped in to cover the bill. He would not accept any cash for his troubles, even though we insisted. Just would not budge. We thanked him and departed with our burritos.

A sound man if I ever saw one.

This got me thinking how difficult times bring the best out of some people, how some just have the intestinal fortitude to stand up at the right time, in the right way. I wonder what makes these people tick.

A more profound example is that of Maximilian Kolbe, who gave his life for a fellow prisoner in Auschwitz. What a badass.

Any other examples?

Edit: my first story and Maximilian Kolbe's example are on a different level. The contrast is truly massive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

a load of ould Shiite if ever I heard ould Shiite.....

Hard Times indeed.

'Atin burritos....

Who's he think he is, the Mexican president?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It has been said that hard times bring out the best in some people and the worst in others.

Well, the other day myself and two pals went in to get a burrito. We masked up, queued and picked the fillings (plenty of sour cream and jalapenos!). As I went to pay for the food, I noticed that it was a card-only establishment. So the burritos were made, wrapped and ready but no cash would be accepted. None of us had a card with him. We had to leave the food behind.

As we were already out of the place, the guy behind the till calls after us that someone offered to pay for the whole lot. A sound chap behind us in the queue saw our plight and stepped in to cover the bill. He would not accept any cash for his troubles, even though we insisted. Just would not budge. We thanked him and departed with our burritos.

A sound man if I ever saw one.

This got me thinking how difficult times bring the best out of some people, how some just have the intestinal fortitude to stand up at the right time, in the right way. I wonder what makes these people tick.

A more profound example is that of Maximilian Kolbe, who gave his life for a fellow prisoner in Auschwitz. What a badass.

Any other examples?

Getting someone else to pay for your buritto and Maxmilian Kolbe giving up his life in a Nazi camp. I can see the closeness of the comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Edgware wrote: »
    Getting someone else to pay for your buritto and Maxmilian Kolbe giving up his life in a Nazi camp. I can see the closeness of the comparison

You've clearly never heard of the Kolbe burrito.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I've waited all my life for an opportunity to do something like this, even before the virus. I'm always on the lookout at supermarket tills for someone in a plight. But it just never happened so far, and I still have my money in my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I've waited all my life for an opportunity to do something like this, even before the virus. I'm always on the lookout at supermarket tills for someone in a plight. But it just never happened so far, and I still have my money in my pocket.

PM me and I'm sure we can work a supermarket out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

PM me and I'm sure we can work a supermarket out.

Even if you're buying a cucumber and an industrial size tub of lubricant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Even if you're buying a cucumber and an industrial size tub of lubricant.

Nah half of Lidl.

Advertisement