Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget laptop €350ish

Options
  • 16-11-2020 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Any other good bargains out there for around €350ish. Mys son's 2 year old lenovo laptop just died and is not fixable so need to get something quick. Doesn't need Microsoft office as they use the Google suite in school.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

A 2 yr old laptop should not have died. Was it expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

A 2 yr old laptop should not have died. Was it expensive

About €400, dropped it in to have it fixed today and was told it was not fixable as 'there was a short on the motherboard, shorting the power'. Personally I haven't a clue what that means.

Dont mean to go off topic, but there is an act called the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980. It is an irish law that says something should last a REASONABLE time. The retailer is liable and providing it is not user inflicted, and a genuine fault, you may be able to demand either a repair or a discount on a replacement. Look it up.

Ignore ANY talk about warranty, this is an irish thing which they dont like you to know.

I kid you not. Who is the retailer

Dont mean to go off topic, but there is an act called the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980. It is an irish law that says something should last a REASONABLE time. The retailer is liable and providing it is not user inflicted, and a genuine fault, you may be able to demand either a repair or a discount on a replacement. Look it up.

Ignore ANY talk about warranty, this is an irish thing which they dont like you to know.

Currys.

seems to be only the case when no warranty period is stated

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1980/act/16/enacted/en/print#sec26
    Implied warranty for spare parts and servicing.

12.—(1) In a contract for the sale of goods there is an implied warranty that spare parts and an adequate aftersale service will be made available by the seller in such circumstances as are stated in an offer, description or advertisement by the seller on behalf of the manufacturer or on his own behalf and for such period as is so stated or, if no period is so stated, for a reasonable period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Got this chromebook for my mother recently: ideal for using google suite:
    https://powercity.ie/product/260336
    15.6” screen
    Nice and fast, battery lasts an age, option to get a 128gb microsd card for extra storage.
    €350

might be worth getting this at 363 euros for a better screen, ssd drive and better cpu if the flexibility of windows might be an advantage down the line

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8764348/Trail/searchtext%3EAMD.htm

cheap easy to do upgrade to go from 4gb to 8gb ram if needed

hard to tell if in stock or not due to the Argos system

same one in powercity for 399

glasso wrote: »
    might be worth getting this at 363 euros for a better screen, ssd drive and better cpu if the flexibility of windows might be an advantage down the line

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8764348/Trail/searchtext%3EAMD.htm

cheap easy to do upgrade to go from 4gb to 8gb ram if needed

hard to tell if in stock or not due to the Argos system

same one in powercity for 399

I had a good look in argos and noticed nearly all the laptops listed are currently out of stock

glasso wrote: »
    seems to be only the case when no warranty period is stated

Completely wrong direction there.

Literally, an item must last "a reasonable length of time" Not defined, so if you think its unreasonable, then its only a few quid for small claims court to decide.

I was in retail for years and a friend was smashed, her washing machine packed up and she had no money and the shop didnt want to know. When she went back and quoted the sale of goods and supply of services act, she got a replacement for half price.

They can refuse, but small claims court will assess if 2 years is reasonable for a laptop. If they feel it is not, you get an award against retailer.

THIS IS CONCRETE INFO.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/your_rights_as_consumer_in_ireland.html

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/ireland/index_en.htm

that's the actual act that you mentioned in your post that I linked to

can't find anything in there about what you said

• Advertisement

Been mentioned before. It is definately worth a try.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058054897

not very clear from that thread ->

+ if the OP got any joy as last news was maybe about applying to small claims court - gave up?

+ had to pay €95 to assess the item fault on tv whether manufacturing or user - how much for a laptop assessment report?

+ what "certain items" and "certain value" means in terms of what is covered.

+ tbh haven't heard anyone get any joy after the 2 year EU period on a laptop before. and it was a 400 euro item.

+ process of small claims court etc and extra fees there for applying etc

could be worth a try but sounds like could be a long drawn out process and a couple of hundred up-front costs on top

Hi All and especially Glasso and Bikerman2019,

Thanks for your advice in relation to my 2 year old laptop that just died recently. I took your advice and went back to Currys with my receipt to prove it was only just over 2 years old. They actually mentioned the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act to me and told me a laptop should not fail after 2 years so they agreed to send it to their repair shop (in the UK) for investigation for a €65 fee and assured me that if it was determined that the fault was a manufacturing one that they would repair it and refund the €65. That was almost 3 weeks ago. Today I received the laptop back fully repaired and with my €65 returned. It was indeed determined to be a manufacturing defect. This experience would definitely make me more inclined to go back to Currys for my next laptop.

Without posting on this thread I would have just dumped the laptop and wasted money on buying a new one. Many thanks and continue to spread the word to fellow ignorant people as myself. Many thanks.

That's great news - credit to Bikerman for bringing it up initially really.

Great news!

Just to recap. A warranty is a promise to fix something by manufacturer in a set time period.

Sale of Goods act is an IRISH act, which is more powerful than an equivalent EU Law. The EU version is less and was never actually brought into force here.

Great result for you. Delighted for ya.

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

If you drop it the warranty is gone
    When you drop it the hard drive will break
    Try putting new SSD drive in it

Drewgerger wrote: »
    If you drop it the warranty is gone
    When you drop it the hard drive will break
    Try putting new SSD drive in it

he's back again

obviously read through the thread carefully

Advertisement