Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion switch is stuck

Options
  • 15-11-2020 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

So I switched the immersion switch on this morning and now it won’t switch off. It’s stuck. When I try to push switch back to off it won’t move. So for the moment, I’ve switched from bath to sink and have no choice but to leave it on. So first question is - is there any danger? Second question is - what’s the cost of leaving it on 24/7?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭mp3guy

So I switched the immersion switch on this morning and now it won’t switch off. It’s stuck. When I try to push switch back to off it won’t move. So for the moment, I’ve switched from bath to sink and have no choice but to leave it on. So first question is - is there any danger? Second question is - what’s the cost of leaving it on 24/7?

Turn it off at the fuse board. Then replace the switch or get an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s got a thermostat, so it’s not gonna blow up, despite the legend.

You don’t by any chance have an immersion timer separate to the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s got a thermostat, so it’s not gonna blow up, despite the legend.

You don’t by any chance have an immersion timer separate to the switch?

The water can be heated by gas or electric but I don’t think I have an immersion timer separate to the switch. Here’s some photos

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭davebuck

That's a motorized valve and no use to you in your situation, isolate at the fuseboard as posted earlier and get a new switch fitted by an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭KaneToad

davebuck wrote: »
    That's a motorized valve and no use to you in your situation, isolate at the fuseboard as posted earlier and get a new switch fitted by an electrician.

Is this not more of a DIY project, given that you'll be swapping like for like? Seems excessive to be getting an electrician?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

The switch is melted where the connections are, cable ends and switch will be melted, trip the mcb and get another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭davebuck

KaneToad wrote: »
    Is this not more of a DIY project, given that you'll be swapping like for like? Seems excessive to be getting an electrician?

Point taken but safety is 1st priority and any loose connections etc and with the heavy loads involved the risk is there and I'm coming from the trade and have seen the damage badly connected switches etc. cause....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

KaneToad wrote: »

It would be a good idea for an electrician to investigate why the switch got stuck rather than just swapping it for a new switch and having the same thing or worse happen if there is a fault somewhere else in the circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

aido79 wrote: »
    It would be a good idea for an electrician to investigate why the switch got stuck rather than just swapping it for a new switch and having the same thing or worse happen if there is a fault somewhere else in the circuit.

Unlikely though

I can't think of anything that wouldn't trip an RCD/MCB

Most likely problem after would be loose connections or burnt cabling reconnected, or switch wired wrongly

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Unlikely though

I can't think of anything that wouldn't trip an RCD/MCB

Most likely problem after would be loose connections or burnt cabling reconnected, or switch wired wrongly

I agree that it's unlikely and it's more likely to be a mechanical issue with the switch mechanism but if the connections aren't loose and there is damage to the switch it would be a good idea to check the rest of the circuit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement