Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A relative is not happy with the new €20 pm topup plan from eir.

• 15-11-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Up until the 10-Nov, my father just topped up his phone as he needed - a fiver or tenner now and then. He's always at home and only needs the credit to make the odd phone call. He used the home Wifi for other things on his smartphone. So does everyone on prepay with eir now have to opt in to topup by €20 per month (gets free bundle that's of no use to him) or just leave them? If he tops up now, he'll be locked into that package?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gomo 12.99 or 48 at 7.99

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

Gomo 12.99 or 48 at 7.99
    ?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Think so m8 they seem to have discontinued the old legacy plans, my son was on an old Meteor plan from years back and he got the text about a month ago to say he had to start topping up every month, I just stuck him on 48.ie latest 7.99 deal,

Mind you hes not happy having to pay every month as a tenner used to last him 5 months lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Worztron wrote: »
    ?

Both Gomo and 48 have rolling monthly (no contracts) sim only plans that are cheaper than what your father is on and will include a lot more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

?

You've heard of the Google yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Up until the 10-Nov, my father just topped up his phone as he needed - a fiver or tenner now and then.

AFAIK he can still do this. He may have been on a plan that was discontinued but those plans had allowances that were outdated a decade ago.

Eir have made some changes to their PAYG plans but you can still top up and use credit for calls as before. The calls would want to be fairly short at the price eir charge....39c per minute + "setup fee" of 12c per call.

...my son was on an old Meteor plan from years back and he got the text about a month ago to say he had to start topping up every month

Do you know what the wording of the text was?

Eir used to have a top up interval of 150 days, now their site quotes 90 days but then says it's 150 days....good luck trying to get a definitive answer to which it is....
    Will I lose my number if I don't top up?

If a number isn’t topped up after a period of time the number will eventually be recycled.

If you do not top up your number within 90 days, the number will go into a temporarily barred state. This can be solved by topping up by a minimum of €5, as soon as possible.

After 150 days numbers that have not been topped up will be unable to make any outgoing services. The number will still be able to receive information (such as calls and texts) for 30 days.

240 days after your last top up any credit left on your phone will be removed.

13 months after your last top up your number will disconnect. It will not be possible to reconnect your number after this period of time as your number will have been recycled.

....it's unclear what "barred" after 90 days means if you can still make calls up to 150 days and receive calls up to 180 days. They also don't say what happens between 180 and 240 days.

https://www.eir.ie/support/mobile/topping-up-eir-mobile/

Vodafone have a much simpler policy, top up every 6 months to keep making calls, incoming calls allowed for a further 2 months.

Eir are just fed up of sporadic PAYG top ups and this is their way of offloading those customers by making certain plans as awkward as possible.

Mind you hes not happy having to pay every month as a tenner used to last him 5 months

His usage was probably very low to get 5 months from a tenner, must have been just a few SMS and a few short calls which AIUI is still possible without paying Eir a monthly top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tesco is another one that allows you a crazy long time between topups, think it's 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Hi.

Up until the 10-Nov, my father just topped up his phone as he needed - a fiver or tenner now and then. He's always at home and only needs the credit to make the odd phone call. He used the home Wifi for other things on his smartphone. So does everyone on prepay with eir now have to opt in to topup by €20 per month (gets free bundle that's of no use to him) or just leave them? If he tops up now, he'll be locked into that package?

Thanks.
    If your father is already getting his broadband from Eir, they will add a SIM-only Mobile account to the bundle for €9.99pm, unlimited voice/text, and loads of data. The bundle discount is for 12 months, but I call them every year and they renew the discount for another 12 months. It is not pre-pay, but very good value, and hard to justify staying on pre-pay when you can get a deal like this on bill-pay. It's actually better value than their GoMo deal, and includes features like WiFi calling that are not included on GoMo.

If your father is already getting his broadband from Eir, they will add a SIM-only Mobile account to the bundle for €9.99pm, unlimited voice/text, and loads of data. The bundle discount is for 12 months, but I call them every year and they renew the discount for another 12 months. It is not pre-pay, but very good value, and hard to justify staying on pre-pay when you can get a deal like this on bill-pay. It's actually better value than their GoMo deal, and includes features like WiFi calling that are not included on GoMo.

Hi babelfish1990. He is not with eir for the broadband.

If he was to switch to another PAYG provider - would he go straight to them or first tell eir that he's leaving them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If he was to switch to another PAYG provider - would he go straight to them or first tell eir that he's leaving them?

No need to tell eir if he's not in contract which he isn't if on pay as you go. Just port and his eir account will close

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Kittykat67

Hi.

Thanks.

I am the same. I don't think it means he has to top up every month now. He can still just buy €5 or €10 as he wants. He is prepay so there is no contract. I was on and old plan from years ago. I topped up by €20 and kept my credit and had free Eir calls and texts. I never top up every month as I would still have credit left over after the 28 days. He was probably initially on a €20 deal even if he never topped up by that much. I take it that I can still do the same I will top up every so often. The package they have changed me to means I will have free calls to Eir, texts to everyone, some Internet and I get to keep the €20 credit too. I am happy with it. The only annoying thing for me is that they are taking away the free Web texts. So now when my package is up I will have to pay for them whereas before I used the Web texts.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    AFAIK he can still do this. He may have been on a plan that was discontinued but those plans had allowances that were outdated a decade ago.

Eir have made some changes to their PAYG plans but you can still top up and use credit for calls as before. The calls would want to be fairly short at the price eir charge....39c per minute + "setup fee" of 12c per call.

Do you know what the wording of the text was?

Eir used to have a top up interval of 150 days, now their site quotes 90 days but then says it's 150 days....good luck trying to get a definitive answer to which it is....

....it's unclear what "barred" after 90 days means if you can still make calls up to 150 days and receive calls up to 180 days. They also don't say what happens between 180 and 240 days.

Vodafone have a much simpler policy, top up every 6 months to keep making calls, incoming calls allowed for a further 2 months.

Eir are just fed up of sporadic PAYG top ups and this is their way of offloading those customers by making certain plans as awkward as possible.

His usage was probably very low to get 5 months from a tenner, must have been just a few SMS and a few short calls which AIUI is still possible without paying Eir a monthly top up.
    Barred means you can't make calls but can still receive them. Happened to mean recently but if you ring them or contact them on twitter like I did they will unlock it from their end and as long as u top up by at least €5 within 24 hours you can make calls again.

Barred means you can't make calls but can still receive them. Happened to mean recently but if you ring them or contact them on twitter like I did they will unlock it from their end and as long as u top up by at least €5 within 24 hours you can make calls again.

That's what I would expect barred to mean but the very next paragraph on the Eir website says...
    After 150 days numbers that have not been topped up will be unable to make any outgoing services. The number will still be able to receive information (such as calls and texts) for 30 days.

...which is what the paragraph above it suggests happens after 90 days....each of eirs statements contradict each other.

How long after top up did Eir block making calls out?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That's what I would expect barred to mean but the very next paragraph on the Eir website says...

...which is what the paragraph above it suggests happens after 90 days....each of eirs statements contradict each other.

How long after top up did Eir block making calls out?

I just know from my own experience it was over 3 months, but I hadn't realised that that much time had passed. I was still getting texts and calls and one day when I went to send a text it would not work, so didn't think much of it, thought there was an issue with the network. Then a few days later I tried a call and that didn't work. When I contacted them she checked and she said the reason was I had not topped up in over 3 months.
    I am assuming if it had went over the 5 months I probably would then not have been able to receive them and eventually the number would go to some one else

Eir PAYG numbers are recycled after 13 months without topping up...
    13 months after your last top up your number will disconnect. It will not be possible to reconnect your number after this period of time as your number will have been recycled.

My father has stayed with the same setup. He just tops up by the minimum each month.

Cheers, guys.

Advertisement