Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new philips hue floodlights

Options
  • 15-11-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi im replacing my old bulkhead lights for some new philips hue outdoor lights but the old twin and earth is covered in green mold, i want to replace it at the junction box in the attic with some new cable and was wondering if this was ok

tinyurl(dotcom)/yykwm5kk

and if not could someone suggest an appropriate replacement cable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thebob663

so yes, no, maybe?

Sorry for the double post

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thebob663 wrote: »
    hi im replacing my old bulkhead lights for some new philips hue outdoor lights but the old twin and earth is covered in green mold, i want to replace it at the junction box in the attic with some new cable and was wondering if this was ok

tinyurl(dotcom)/yykwm5kk

and if not could someone suggest an appropriate replacement cable.

Thanks

Hi, I can't see that link to that cable. As it stands you can replace the lights on a one for one basis, but cabling etc would need to be carried out by a REC

The REC would determine if the cable was exposed to external conditions, so T&E would not be rated for external conditions, if it is installed in the house and simply pops out into the fitting outside that would generally be ok as the exposed cable would be in the IP rated external fitting.

3x1.5.sq.mm NYMJ cable is often used for this application although it is not designed for direct sunlight

"NYMJ Cable is a Plain annealed class 1 solid conductor, PVc insulated, PVC sheathed cable. It has a Grey sheath 300/500 volt rated to BS EN 50265-2-1. Suitable for industrial or home applications and designed for dry, moist or wet open areas i.e under plaster and in concrete - not suitable for exposure to direct sunlight."

or see here
    https://www.elandcables.com/cables/nym-j-and-nym-o-cable

https://www.elandcables.com/cables/n2xh-cable

So it really depends on the environment that the cable would be installed in, your REC will advise.

Again I cant see the cable you have linked in

Advertisement