Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting external boiler flue

Options
  • 15-11-2020 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Just got external balance flue re-routed with new white plastic coated piping and want to paint black or dark grey. Has anyone done this or can recommend a paint spec ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DIY KING wrote: »
    Just got external balance flue re-routed with new white plastic coated piping and want to paint black or dark grey. Has anyone done this or can recommend a paint spec ?

Any high temp paint will do. There are various BBQ paints that will also do the job spray or in can. Blacks a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thanks for that. Bit worried about adhesion to plastic, any need to prime or might roughen up a bit with light sandpaper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thanks for that. Bit worried about adhesion to plastic, any need to prime or might roughen up a bit with light sandpaper ?

Only the manufacturer will answer this for you. You prob don’t need high temp either if it’s a condensing boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Does it get hot?

No, doesn't get hot. Balance flue concentric pipe so outer chamber sucks cold air in and central chamber blows fumes out. Will get warm I guess at outlet grill though I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

No, doesn't get hot. Balance flue concentric pipe so outer chamber sucks cold air in and central chamber blows fumes out. Will get warm I guess at outlet grill though I'd say.

An adhesion primer like Zinsser 123 would probably be safer, and the 2 coats of gloss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Plastic balanced flue?

Plastic coated steel I'd say or maybe just a paint coating.

Advertisement