Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering a remote shed

Options
  • 15-11-2020 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just looking for advice /affirmation. I'm on the hunt for a 20ft container to use as a boathouse. I'll be placing it in a remote spot about a mile from the house, so I'm wondering about basic power.
    The requirements are simple enough. It would mostly be used to store a few canoes/SUPs and related gear, but occasionally I would stay over in it, myself and the 2 dogs, a bbq/gas stove and a cold beer. I want to power a couple of led strips for lighting and a phone charger or /and laptop.
    I'm thinking of running 3 car batteries in parallel, say 3x100ah. Would this be enough for a few hours power? I'd like to leave them in situ and top them up with a solar panel. I know absolutely nothing about electrics/auto electrics, so please let rip with your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭tech

Get a APC 2000 / 3000 UPS would keep LED going / charge phone for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Buy a small generator ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Nah, don't want a gennie, I should be able to do without.

This would probably be better asked in a camper thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I would consider it unacceptable to use anything more than 12v inside a wet steel box..

A singe 100Ah battery will power plenty of led's and a charger for >12hours.

• Advertisement

Thanks wb, that's the sort of info I'm looking for. If that were the case just bringing a charged battery would do me for the few times I'll be doing it.

So the likes of this battery would easily fit the bill?

https://batteriesdirect.ie/product/buffalo-bull-shd-pro-64503-12v-145ah/

Just a rough example;

5 x 5w Led Spotlights would give you almost workshop brightness, and could last 48 Hours with 100Ah battery.
    A full charge on a phone generally wont take more than 10watts. Do that twice, thats still 44hours.

You could probably run a portable projector all night too if you wanted to.

But please dont dream of anything mains powered.

I don't want and can't use mains power, its too far from the grid anyway. I just need a simple lighting /charging solution and it looks like I found it, thanks.

• Advertisement

whizbang wrote: »
    I would consider it unacceptable to use anything more than 12v inside a wet steel box..

You can't feel lower than 80VDC

€1700 smackers!!!
    Sure I can buy a 145ah battery and 2 x 5m led strips for less than €200 that'll do the job nicely.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

whizbang wrote: »
    I would consider it unacceptable to use anything more than 12v inside a wet steel box.

Your description could be applied to many boats which would have 400 volt 3 phase distribution (and in some cases far higher voltages).

Once installed properly using suitable equipment it is very safe.

Yeah, But here its the context..

DIYer has very easy access to all sorts of 12v systems. 24v is possible, but much more difficult to source.
    Anything more needs inverters/electronics, which needs a whole new level of competency to install, and maintain. And planning and infrastructure requirements, etc. etc..

Any suggestions for a solar panel that would keep a 145ah battery topped up?

Cheaper everything in 24V especially solar.
    Not difficult at all. Half current = more power or less expense for the same outlay (same cable = double power, half cable = half cost)

I don't do 12v anymore unless it's unavoidable. Running 95mm² cable for 2kW inverters is just silly.
    Any suggestions for a solar panel that would keep a 145ah battery topped up?

Anything 60 Cell for a house and an MPPT Controller.
    36 cell panels are a rip off in terms of € per watt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Cheaper everything in 24V especially solar.
    Not difficult at all. Half current = more power or less expense for the same outlay (same cable = double power, half cable = half cost)

I don't do 12v anymore unless it's unavoidable. Running 95mm² cable for 2kW inverters is just silly.

Anything 60 Cell for a house and an MPPT Controller.
    36 cell panels are a rip off in terms of € per watt.
    Makes sense alright the 24v, 12v is limited usefulness I'd say the voltage is so low

60 cells for a 24v system..? No chance.

The issue is, lower power stuff aimed at home/diy is very poor value per watt. But the Op doesnt need anything more than 100Watt. Even 30W running all week, will power a weekend.

Its like supermarket gimmicks. 2 for 1 offers are better value, but if you dont use the product, its just money wasted.

What's the problem with coupling a 40Voc panel to a 24v battery Whizbang?

A 150W "12volt" 36cell panel is €200
    A 300W 60cell panel is €100.

Are you suggesting that it's better to pay more for less?

There's three major reasons 12v is a pain in the bottom.

High current = not a significant amount of power but expensive everything to handle it.
    Voltage drop is a substantial power loss compared to higher voltages. P = IV
    If you're shopping in 12v land that puts you in the leisure/recreational/hobbyist market so be prepared to be ripped off. QED the solar panel cost example.

Anything on the 12v market is available on the 24v market because trucks.

Advertisement