Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probation at work?

Options
  • 14-11-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone, i just got a permanent contract at work, well that's what they say...

but my " Permanent " contract contains a 6 weeks probation that can be extended but cannot exceed 3 months.

So my question is.. is this legal?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

Legal. Almost everyone gets it. Most people breeze past this period without even realising they are on probation.

Yearn to learn, yearn to appease and do your best. You will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JARGFNW

shrewd wrote: »
    Legal. Almost everyone gets it. Most people breeze past this period without even realising they are on probation.

Yearn to learn, yearn to appease and do your best. You will be grand.

But, i just came of probation to a permanent contract and still have to do probation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Hi I got a job working for the queen of England. It was a permanent position but they are telling ke its a two week probation that can be extended to 700 years.

Is this Regal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Its a fecking nuisance. I'm used to it being 6 months, then extended another 6 months before they begrudgingly make me permanent. Then I leave and start from 0 again

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JARGFNW wrote: »
    But, i just came of probation to a permanent contract and still have to do probation?

Are you in Ireland? If so, then yeah its legal. Stupid, but legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Any job I’ve ever had has had 6 months probation. Usually a formality if you’re in any way decent. If you are doing a good job and they extend your probation, you know they’re chancers and it’s not worth hanging around.

I’ve known a few people that were let go during probation, but they were really bad fits for the job, and it was obvious. My current company won’t let you join the pension scheme during probation, but I don’t know if restrictions like that are common.

You really have no employment rights for the first year you work for a company in Ireland. For instance, with less than 12 months service, there’s only very limited grounds that you can bring a case for unfair dismissal, and you wouldn’t be entitled to any redundancy. So a few weeks or months probation is really cosmetic - any employer really has a year to see how you’re going and let you go without much reason, hassle or cost if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

JARGFNW wrote: »

Do you mean you just came off a temporary contract? Probation would usually only apply to a permanent job - it’s already fairly easy to get rid of someone on contract, so there’s no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Moving thread to Work Problems from AH.

please note new charter & quality of posting requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭walshtipp

I'd say most jobs will have a probation period now. It is an easy way for employers to filter out the good from the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JARGFNW

Do you mean you just came off a temporary contract? Probation would usually only apply to a permanent job - it’s already fairly easy to get rid of someone on contract, so there’s no need for it.

Yes, that's right i had 6 months on temporary contract and was supposed to get a permanent contract.. but when i looked at it it had stated that i am on probationary period for 6 weeks and that can be extended to longer period with company discretion and cannot exceed more than 3 month, when i asked my boss about it he said not to worry, that this is a permanent contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

So you're moving from Contract employment to Permanent employment - it's as if you have never worked for the company before and you are starting from scratch, with a probation period. Exactly the same thing happened to me 7 years ago .... I'm still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭dennyk

It's perfectly normal, and if they've been happy enough with you to move you from a temporary status to permanent, it's very unlikely they'd turn around and opt to get rid of you during your probation period (or even choose to extend it after six weeks). Many employers just have a single version of their permanent contract terms that they give to everyone, with only employee-specific things like title, pay, job duties, schedules, etc. being changed for different employees. Unless you need to draw down on a mortgage within the next six weeks, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think if you're competent and honest you have nothing to worry about.

The fact they've offered you a permanent contract makes me think you'll get through the next 6 weeks just fine unless something drastic happens.

Advertisement